Ford Repair/dana 60 differentials

Whats the difference between a full floating dana 60 differential and a semi floating dana 60 differential? I have a semi floating posi unit that i want to put in a full floating dana 60. I just dont know if they are the same or what

Cody you are testing my expertise to the max. Differentials are not something I am that familiar with. As I understand the difference, the full floating axle carries the vehicle weight on the hub bearing, not directly on the axle; used in 3/4 ton and heavier trucks and tractors. Semi floating is more common in many lighter vehicles, and the axle directly supports the vehicle weight on the axle bearing.

I cannot tell you if the posi unit will fit, but with my basic knowledge of that area, I suspect there are major differences as the axles are much different.

Here is a listing on this topic from wikipedia for you to review:

This link has drawings of the axles, you can see how different they are:  

Ford Repair

I am a retired Ford master tech specializing in electrical, climate control, emissions, driveability, chassis, brakes, and any light repairs. Cannot answer transmission, parts, or price questions, these are not areas of my expertise.

39 years of auto repair, diagnosis, and emissions testing, in service staions, independent garages, and 20 years with Ford dealers.

National Street Rod Association (NSRA)
International Automotive Technicians Network (IATN)
IAMAW (retired)

Riverside City College Automotive technology program
Ford Master Tech Certified Engine and Chassis Master (Over 500 hours)
ASE Certified in 7 categories
6 years training in Union 76 Pro-tech program

4-time Technician of the Year at Almaden Lincoln Mercury
Ford Master Tech
Union 76 Pro-tech Master tech