Ford Repair/manual transmission

Question
I shifted my F-150 into reverse and backed out of the driveway.  However, I couldn't get it into fwd gear(or reverse for that matter) after pulling into the road.  Wouldn't even move out of neutral.  After repeated attempts finally it would move into second, then the other gears.  I was looking to back into a second driveway. I could hear the linkage arms moving as I tried to shift. Happened twice in a row. My question: could a bad clutch pedal position switch prevent actual shifting into gear?
Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Ed,
The clutch switch is only for the starter activation. Sounds like your problem may be in the linkage. When you shifted was it grinding when trying to put in gear? Another thing that could possibly cause this problem would be the syncrinizers in the transmission. First check the linkages. Thank you. Jeff

Ford Repair

Jeff Brinkley