Ford Repair/Coolant "explosion" after shutting engine off

uncle duke wrote at 2015-08-31 19:59:41
Start car and warm up somewhat.  

With the hood up, shut engine off and observe fan spinning.  A good fan clutch will have the fan stopped in 2-3 seconds, anything past 5 seconds put on a new one.  I'd be leary after 4 seconds of spinning after engine is shut off.

If your thermostat doesn't have a 2-3 mm pilot hole drilled into the chrome flange area, drill one through it.  It helps bleed air and prevents collapsed hoses.

Add a tube of aluma-seal to the radiator.  The chrome powdery stuff.

If your up to the task, remove both heater core lines and blow out with compressed air. Blow through one and put a catch pot under the other.

Scrape any crude/rust from fittings coming from engine coolant fittings including the one going to the throttle body.

You may be able to remove front cover bolts one at a time and apply sealer on the threads and reinstall the bolts but keep in mind you may have a failing gasket.  While doing that check the little angled by-pass coolant hose going from pump to intake.

I think you said the a.c is still operable.  Please maintain the system to prevent headaches farther down the road.

Ford Repair

Jeff Brinkley