Foreclosure/Trailer on my property with unpaid taxes and vacant..

QUESTION: I have a trailer on my lot that is vacant from owner and needs some reapair.. The trailer has 8000 dollars in upaid taxes and is only valued at 4000 on tax appraisal.. I would like to repair and resell trailer but am told I have to pay the 8000 dollars in unpaid taxes first..  If the original owner does not pay his taxes and has not for 7 years when will ownership change on the trailer?   Such as county taking over trailer so they can either auction it off or move it?   I am not being paid rent for the land so I either want it off my property or I take ownership of trailer so I can sell it..   Please let me know if there is a way for a buyer such as myself to own the trailer but not pay someones debt off in the process?

ANSWER: Good morning and thank you for your question!

So, this trailer is located on your property, yet is owned by someone else?  Was it there when you purchased the land or was it moved there after the fact?  It is permanently affixed with a foundation?  How long has it been vacant?  

Have you checked the county tax records to see if it has been foreclosed on(yet not gotten through the system yet?)  Is there any notice posted on the trailer?

I would consult with a Realtor in your area to check the status of it and also what your specific state laws say.  

I hope this helps some.  Please feel free to call me at 919-323-0980.

Thanks, Tonya!!

QUESTION: Thanks Tonya...

Yes trailer was already on lot but lot is right next to other property I have so I bought the lot.. I knew the folks that used to live there but now it is vacant..  The tax office shows it under the original owner name still and still has his 8 years of debt on there.. They ran it in a tax auction a year ago but no one bid because it is not worth the 8 thousand dollars in debt that is still owed..  There is another tax auction next month but the trailer is not listed on this auction.   I went to ask at tax office and they said the only way you can take ownership of trailer is if someone pays off all the debt in full and I do not want to pay that much for the trailer.. IF they reduced it by some percentage then I would be interested..  I live in Texas and since I am the land owner now I would like to put some pressure on them to sell it or move it..

I am guessing the trailer is registered throguh the DMV and does not have a permanant foundation.  The link below speaks to trailers that have a tax lien.  I honestly don't know what you can do and again, I would consult a Realtor or attorney, or perhaps the sheriff.  

I am so sorry that I could not be more help.

Tonya Snow-Saleeby

I am a Realtor® in Raleigh Durham area and have working knowledge of the market in Durham, Raleigh, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Bahama, Rougemont, Roxboro and surrounding areas. If it involves real estate, I can help you!! I have worked extensively with bank and HUD foreclosures, as well as short sales. In addition, I have worked with many first time homebuyers...providing them with valuable information and insight into the exciting first home purchase!!!

I was born and raised in Roxboro and spent much of my time in Durham. After living in Savannah, Georgia for some 14 years, I have returned to Durham. Since returning, I have been working as a Real Estate Professional and know the market well. I also have working knowledge of the surrounding areas, such as Hillsborough, Mebane, Efland, Rougemont, Bahama, Cary, Morrisville and Raleigh.

Durham Regional Association of Realtors North Carolina Assocation of Realtors

NC Certified Real Estate Broker Fonville Morisey Realty Broker Relocation Certified Associate Certified Real Estate Negotiator Graduate Realtor Institute(GRI) North Carolina Notary Public Training Mentor

Fonville Morisey Manager's Award for April & December 2007; February, April & November 2008; March, April, May, July, August 2009; April, June, July, September & December 2010; March, April, May, July, October & December 2011; January, March, May, July, August, September, October 2012; April & June 2013 Fonville Morisey Sales Associate of the Month for March 2009,September 2010, June 2011, July & September 2012 Fonville Morisey Listings Sold Associate of the Month for December 2010 Fonville Morisey Listing Associate of the month for December 2011 Fonville Morisey Executive's Club 2007, 2008 & 2010 Fonville Morisey Director's Club 2009, 2011 & 2012 Fonville Morisey Fast Trackers Award 2007 Fonville Morisey Spirit Award for Croasdaile office 2010

I recently purchased a home in Durham, and Tonya was my realtor. I wanted to tell you how wonderful an experience it was to work with Tonya. I am probably the longest standing client she has ever had! My first encounter with Tonya was about 1 1/2 years ago. After living and renting in Durham at that time for about 3 years, I had decided it was time to go house hunting. I drove by a home that I considered a possibility and Tonya`s name was on the sign as the listing agent. I immediately called her from my cell phone and... she answered!!! I never did look at that home; but since that day Tonya has spent countless hours assisting me with my home investment, and she has always been available in a timely manner. She consistently worked with a particular listing agent who was, in my opinion, next to impossible, if not utterly impossible to work with. When the sale of that property failed for us, she did not skip a beat with proceeding to the next "adventure!" She completed all of the "legwork" for me and did so eagerly, making phone calls, getting questions answered, setting up inspections, as well as showing me many, many properties and encouraging me when I looked at her with each and every "no" . Finally, we found the property that is right for me, and during the closing process, Tonya worked relentlessly to accomplish the necessary steps so that we could close to my satisfaction. Tonya handled difficult situations with ease and confidence and professionalism. She remains calm under pressure, and is consistently upbeat and positive. Tonya went above and beyond in every aspect of my experience. I truly feel that she is not only my realtor but my friend, and Fonville Morisey has a loyal client because of Tonya Snow-Saleeby. Charlene You really are amazing. I was in business for 40 years and I’ve never met anyone with your amazing work ethic—just one of your great business skills......Frank and Nancy