Foreclosure/Short Sale vs Foreclosure

I'm currently paying the mortgage for my ex-spouse due to my Father being a co-signer on the morgage.  Otherwise, I'm not legally bound in any way.  My question is two-fold: 1) Is there anything that can be done to extricate my Father's name from the mortgage (I know my ex-spouse could re-finance, but that's an impossiblity due to her credit)?  2) What would the damage be to my Father's credit through foreclosure or short sale?  The residence in question is located in TN.  Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Good morning and thank you for your question!!!!

First of all, since your father is a co-signer and on the mortgage note, unless she refinances he will remain on the mortgage note until it is paid off, sold or refinanced.  

With your father's name on the mortgage, he would also take a hit, just as she would for either a foreclosure or short sale.  Obviously, the short sale is not as bad.  How is your fathers credit and does he have another mortgage on his own home or is it paid for outright?  I would recommend speaking to an attorney, regarding your father's situation, based on your answers to the above questions.

I am sorry that I could not be of more help, but again, I would speak to an attorney, who could better advise on this situation.

Good luck!!!

Tonya Snow-Saleeby

I am a Realtor® in Raleigh Durham area and have working knowledge of the market in Durham, Raleigh, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Bahama, Rougemont, Roxboro and surrounding areas. If it involves real estate, I can help you!! I have worked extensively with bank and HUD foreclosures, as well as short sales. In addition, I have worked with many first time homebuyers...providing them with valuable information and insight into the exciting first home purchase!!!

I was born and raised in Roxboro and spent much of my time in Durham. After living in Savannah, Georgia for some 14 years, I have returned to Durham. Since returning, I have been working as a Real Estate Professional and know the market well. I also have working knowledge of the surrounding areas, such as Hillsborough, Mebane, Efland, Rougemont, Bahama, Cary, Morrisville and Raleigh.

Durham Regional Association of Realtors North Carolina Assocation of Realtors

NC Certified Real Estate Broker Fonville Morisey Realty Broker Relocation Certified Associate Certified Real Estate Negotiator Graduate Realtor Institute(GRI) North Carolina Notary Public Training Mentor

Fonville Morisey Manager's Award for April & December 2007; February, April & November 2008; March, April, May, July, August 2009; April, June, July, September & December 2010; March, April, May, July, October & December 2011; January, March, May, July, August, September, October 2012; April & June 2013 Fonville Morisey Sales Associate of the Month for March 2009,September 2010, June 2011, July & September 2012 Fonville Morisey Listings Sold Associate of the Month for December 2010 Fonville Morisey Listing Associate of the month for December 2011 Fonville Morisey Executive's Club 2007, 2008 & 2010 Fonville Morisey Director's Club 2009, 2011 & 2012 Fonville Morisey Fast Trackers Award 2007 Fonville Morisey Spirit Award for Croasdaile office 2010

I recently purchased a home in Durham, and Tonya was my realtor. I wanted to tell you how wonderful an experience it was to work with Tonya. I am probably the longest standing client she has ever had! My first encounter with Tonya was about 1 1/2 years ago. After living and renting in Durham at that time for about 3 years, I had decided it was time to go house hunting. I drove by a home that I considered a possibility and Tonya`s name was on the sign as the listing agent. I immediately called her from my cell phone and... she answered!!! I never did look at that home; but since that day Tonya has spent countless hours assisting me with my home investment, and she has always been available in a timely manner. She consistently worked with a particular listing agent who was, in my opinion, next to impossible, if not utterly impossible to work with. When the sale of that property failed for us, she did not skip a beat with proceeding to the next "adventure!" She completed all of the "legwork" for me and did so eagerly, making phone calls, getting questions answered, setting up inspections, as well as showing me many, many properties and encouraging me when I looked at her with each and every "no" . Finally, we found the property that is right for me, and during the closing process, Tonya worked relentlessly to accomplish the necessary steps so that we could close to my satisfaction. Tonya handled difficult situations with ease and confidence and professionalism. She remains calm under pressure, and is consistently upbeat and positive. Tonya went above and beyond in every aspect of my experience. I truly feel that she is not only my realtor but my friend, and Fonville Morisey has a loyal client because of Tonya Snow-Saleeby. Charlene You really are amazing. I was in business for 40 years and I’ve never met anyone with your amazing work ethic—just one of your great business skills......Frank and Nancy