Foreclosure/FHA appraisal inspection concern

QUESTION: I am trying to purchase a home in Iowa that was converted into a duplex at one point. It is now a single family home with full access to every room but it has a 2nd kitchen upstairs and the FHA inspection says it needs removed. They won't give any more details other than "not a kitchen in their eyes".  I did a search and found this: "To pass an FHA inspection, a kitchen must be equipped for an occupant to prepare and cook a meal. The only appliance necessary to meet that requirement is a free-standing stove." With this said, would it not satisfy them by removing the stove?  I can have a sink and fridge in the basement without it being considered a kitchen, I should be able to keep them in there.  The cabinets and counter shouldn't be a problem either.  Am I wrong??  If the house was separated permanently with a wall and access to each was only from the outside I understand, but this is not the case.  To me this is a convenience for me to not have to go up and down the stairs to get a drink out of the fridge or wash my hands if the bathroom is being used, etc.

ANSWER: Good morning and thank you for your question!!!

The FHA laws regarding stoves has changed a bit and is now not required for a house to pass inspection.  Your problem is there is one there and you don't need it.  Has your Buyers agent contacted the appraiser to ask what they need to see or not see to make this work?  Is this bank owned or a private seller?

My suggestion would be to find out what the appraiser needs to see or not see to make this appraisal go through. Once you have that knowledge, let the seller know.

With an FHA appraisal, it will "stay with the house" for 6 months, so if your loan does not go through,the next buyer with an fha loan, will have the same issues.

I hope that helps!!!  Let me know if you need additional help!!!

Hope you had a wonderful Independence day!!!!

QUESTION: It is a short sale so the bank had to approve my offer.  My broker stated all that needed changed was the MLS listing to a single family home.  I mentioned  removing the stove and refrigerator and my real estate agent said he talked to him and said that would be good, but I am not sure if he was talking about my broker or the appraiser!  I have been doing this deal since I put the offer in on April 24th and am really frustrated because I am told everything is approved providing I provide documentation for these 5 things, then they want something else, then they want something else, and now the kitchen deal and "possible mold" deal and paint chipping on one wall in the basement... all at my expense and time if I want to buy this house...  It got ridiculous a few weeks ago, this is just over the top frustrating!

Short Sales can be a very long process and you really need patience.  They can take anywhere form 3 months to a year, and sometimes beyond.  I just closed a short sales last week that took 9 months and 2 days!!!

I would ask your broker who "he" is and if the mls listing was changed to a single family home, would that solve the problem?  If not, ask your buyers agent if the sellers could remove the refrigerator/stove so this can go proceed.

What is the age of the house?  If built prior to 1978, there is a possibility of lead base paint and if you have peeling/chipping paint, that will need to be taken care of#painting over it#.  If there is mold, that will certainly need to be taken care of.

As you probably know, the seller is asking the bank to accept "short" or less than what they owe on the house and could sell it for, without having to bring money to closing#which they don't have.#  That also means they may not have the money for the required repairs.  

Did you see the peeling paint prior to making an offer?  Did you notice any mold?

My advice is to get the required documentation as quickly as possible#that is the lending environment we are in today#.  Ask your buyers agent to clarify if the listing agent will change the listing to single family and if they will remove stove and refrigerator?

Has the seller provided all that they need to provide to the bank?  Has there been a notice put on the door of the house regarding foreclosure?

You can also e-mail me directly at

I hope this helps!!!

Tonya Snow-Saleeby

I am a Realtor® in Raleigh Durham area and have working knowledge of the market in Durham, Raleigh, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Bahama, Rougemont, Roxboro and surrounding areas. If it involves real estate, I can help you!! I have worked extensively with bank and HUD foreclosures, as well as short sales. In addition, I have worked with many first time homebuyers...providing them with valuable information and insight into the exciting first home purchase!!!

I was born and raised in Roxboro and spent much of my time in Durham. After living in Savannah, Georgia for some 14 years, I have returned to Durham. Since returning, I have been working as a Real Estate Professional and know the market well. I also have working knowledge of the surrounding areas, such as Hillsborough, Mebane, Efland, Rougemont, Bahama, Cary, Morrisville and Raleigh.

Durham Regional Association of Realtors North Carolina Assocation of Realtors

NC Certified Real Estate Broker Fonville Morisey Realty Broker Relocation Certified Associate Certified Real Estate Negotiator Graduate Realtor Institute(GRI) North Carolina Notary Public Training Mentor

Fonville Morisey Manager's Award for April & December 2007; February, April & November 2008; March, April, May, July, August 2009; April, June, July, September & December 2010; March, April, May, July, October & December 2011; January, March, May, July, August, September, October 2012; April & June 2013 Fonville Morisey Sales Associate of the Month for March 2009,September 2010, June 2011, July & September 2012 Fonville Morisey Listings Sold Associate of the Month for December 2010 Fonville Morisey Listing Associate of the month for December 2011 Fonville Morisey Executive's Club 2007, 2008 & 2010 Fonville Morisey Director's Club 2009, 2011 & 2012 Fonville Morisey Fast Trackers Award 2007 Fonville Morisey Spirit Award for Croasdaile office 2010

I recently purchased a home in Durham, and Tonya was my realtor. I wanted to tell you how wonderful an experience it was to work with Tonya. I am probably the longest standing client she has ever had! My first encounter with Tonya was about 1 1/2 years ago. After living and renting in Durham at that time for about 3 years, I had decided it was time to go house hunting. I drove by a home that I considered a possibility and Tonya`s name was on the sign as the listing agent. I immediately called her from my cell phone and... she answered!!! I never did look at that home; but since that day Tonya has spent countless hours assisting me with my home investment, and she has always been available in a timely manner. She consistently worked with a particular listing agent who was, in my opinion, next to impossible, if not utterly impossible to work with. When the sale of that property failed for us, she did not skip a beat with proceeding to the next "adventure!" She completed all of the "legwork" for me and did so eagerly, making phone calls, getting questions answered, setting up inspections, as well as showing me many, many properties and encouraging me when I looked at her with each and every "no" . Finally, we found the property that is right for me, and during the closing process, Tonya worked relentlessly to accomplish the necessary steps so that we could close to my satisfaction. Tonya handled difficult situations with ease and confidence and professionalism. She remains calm under pressure, and is consistently upbeat and positive. Tonya went above and beyond in every aspect of my experience. I truly feel that she is not only my realtor but my friend, and Fonville Morisey has a loyal client because of Tonya Snow-Saleeby. Charlene You really are amazing. I was in business for 40 years and I’ve never met anyone with your amazing work ethic—just one of your great business skills......Frank and Nancy