Foreclosure/Condominium "what if" question about foreclosures

I live in a condominium in Connecticut. I have a "what if" question about foreclosures. While it's never happened at our condominium, the thought has occurred to me whether it's possible to foreclosure on a unit whose owner has paid off his/her mortgage. For example, we've had a couple of units here in the past in which the owner became many months delinquent paying their common fees. Suppose that were to happen with an owner who has no mortgage because it's paid off? If the association were to pursue foreclosure, what is there to foreclose on if there's no mortgage? What recourse would the condo association have?

Hey Michael,

The HOA has a lien against the home and therefore the HOA has a right to foreclose if the dues are not paid. Even if the home is paid for you can foreclose on it. The remedy to pursue a homeowner that doesn't pay their hoa fees is foreclosure. Most likely they will just catch up the dues before it forecloses, but if they don't then there can be a huge upside for an investor that buys it at auction and pays off the dues in full. Hope this helps.

Brian Pitcher

I can answer all questions in regards to short sales, strategic default, foreclosures, loan modifications, and most questions regarding real estate law.

I have closed well over 100 short sales in the past 3 years and that is the work we primarily do. We teach people how to keep their home if they can or how to bail on it in the best possible way without any recourse. I have taught many public seminars to accountants, loan mod counselors, attorney's and also many other real estate agents all over the country. I also know how to deal with the very tough second mortgages in the negotiations as well as mechanic liens and default judgements.

I have a bachelors in Spanish with a minor in Economics from the University of Utah. I have also been a Realtor for 8 years closing well over 200 transactions. I am a KW instructor for Short Sales and Foreclosures.