Foster Care and Termination of Parental Rights/emancipation


I am 16, i have my permit, i am putting in job applications and i have a friend that has a apartment soon and will let me move in with him and help pay rent, if not i have another friend and she will let me do the same, they are both 18. I do not have a car although i will save up money for one. School I will finish and will hopefully be a graduating junior. I can not get my license till August 2013. My father does not come home much and my aunt takes care of me. I have depression, i do not take pills or therapy for it because my dad wont let me, hes the only cause of my depression and was at one point mentally abusing me last year and he would shove/push/drag me so its not like hitting so I do not know if that is physical abuse. Is there a way i can get emancipation without a license and if so how would I get my license without my father being there. Of course he doesn't agree to this, me and my father do not get along, but he refused to get me help when i was suicidal. I am no longer like that and me and my dad don't argue as much but i still want to be on my own and i think it would be best for my mental health to get away from family for a while. i do not have health insurance either (i don't know if that matters or not) Also my dad has a very good lawyer, and me well i know almost nothing about law. help!

Hello Rachel,

 In your state you have to be at least 16 years of age and have to have lived in your state for at least 6 months. What you are going to have to do  is petition the court for your emancipation.
It would be in your best interest to have a job before filing for emancipation from your father as it shows that you are responsible enough to cover your living expenses. It is not necessary to have a car to be emancipated.
 I come from an abusive background, and while being shoved, pushed and dragged is not as bad as being hit it is still abuse. It is very important for you to remember that. The fact that your father made you suicidal and refused to get you the help you needed is going to be your strongest reason in court for your emancipation.
 Here is a link to the information you will need to help you with the process of emancipation.

Now I also suggest speaking with a few Pro Bono attorneys to help you with the paper work. Now I understand wanting to be emancipated from a bad situation, just keep in mind that once emancipated you are the only person in charge of your life, and I advise you to think this through very carefully as emancipation cannot be undone. Make sure you have a strong security net of good friends that can lend a hand to you.
 When you have your hearing do not leave anything out that will give you your strongest case and your best chance at success.

I wish you the best of luck :) and I hope all of this information helps you.
If you have any more questions or just need someone to talk to feel free to send another message,


Foster Care and Termination of Parental Rights

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mystalee Minogue


I can answer questions on how foster care works, the difference between social workers and JPOs, questions regarding Guardian at Light-dim, childrens emotional state and group homes.


I was in the foster care system for several years lived in group homes and foster homes had a social worker and lived with children who had JPOs.

I wrote a term paper on the long lasting effects of child abuse and the states role in helping the children and families.

©2017 All rights reserved.