Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Horizontal Foundation Cracks

Question
front
front  

rear
rear  
We are in the process of buying a home and the home inspector noted horizontal cracks in the front and rear basement cinder block walls. A contractor looked at the damage and thought it was due to a front and back concrete porch settling years ago and was probably finished settling thus would no longer be an issue. Our realtor also brought in a structural engineer who stated the cinder block foundation was damaged due to hydrostatic pressure and should be repaired. He also stated that there was no way to predict whether or not the foundation would fail or the cracks would grow, etc. He submitted his report to two masonry companies and they each provided us with a $4800 estimate to install 17 rebar rods with grout. The seller is unwilling to have the repairs made, but will credit us the $4800 to have it completed after settlement. We definitely want to have it repaired but have been researching alternatives and are wondering specifically if the carbon fiber strips would be a cost effective alternative.

FYI the house is a large split level in suburban Philadelphia, PA, approx 55 yrs old and built on a rather substantial slope/grade.

Any information you may be able to provide us with would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
wall stabilization
wall stabilization  
Murray,
       Fortress carbon fiber grid straps are priced anywhere from $ 350- $ 400.00 each. Spacing should be 4' apart across the length of the wall. ( example 40' wall needs 10 locations )

Rod and grout needs to be installed with an engineers specifications...anything less is usually substandard and likely not installed to a decent standard.. ei:  steel spec, grout spec, interior rebar placement spec, spacing, tie in to sill plate etc. ...

Look for a lifetime warranty from Fortress.

Jim   www.expertbasementrepair.com

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise