Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Horizontal Foundation Cracks

We are in the process of buying a home and the home inspector noted horizontal cracks in the front and rear basement cinder block walls. A contractor looked at the damage and thought it was due to a front and back concrete porch settling years ago and was probably finished settling thus would no longer be an issue. Our realtor also brought in a structural engineer who stated the cinder block foundation was damaged due to hydrostatic pressure and should be repaired. He also stated that there was no way to predict whether or not the foundation would fail or the cracks would grow, etc. He submitted his report to two masonry companies and they each provided us with a $4800 estimate to install 17 rebar rods with grout. The seller is unwilling to have the repairs made, but will credit us the $4800 to have it completed after settlement. We definitely want to have it repaired but have been researching alternatives and are wondering specifically if the carbon fiber strips would be a cost effective alternative.

FYI the house is a large split level in suburban Philadelphia, PA, approx 55 yrs old and built on a rather substantial slope/grade.

Any information you may be able to provide us with would be greatly appreciated.

wall stabilization
wall stabilization  
       Fortress carbon fiber grid straps are priced anywhere from $ 350- $ 400.00 each. Spacing should be 4' apart across the length of the wall. ( example 40' wall needs 10 locations )

Rod and grout needs to be installed with an engineers specifications...anything less is usually substandard and likely not installed to a decent standard.. ei:  steel spec, grout spec, interior rebar placement spec, spacing, tie in to sill plate etc. ...

Look for a lifetime warranty from Fortress.

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise

I am the owner of EXPERT BASEMENT REPAIR in Cleveland, Ohio. see WWW.EXPERTBASEMENTREPAIR.COM for more helpful links, pricing and information on repair work and products I can identify the reasons for movement or cracking in home foundations, basements and walls. I am familiar with most waterproofing and water control methods. I am familiar with and have installed Ramjack, Dixie MacLean, and A.B.Chance™ helical and push pier systems, including tiebacks, steel beams, and rod and grout repair and also several carbon fiber stabilization products. I am currently certified for Fortress carbon fiber installation and have performed carbon repair in the greater Cleveland and Northeast Ohio region for 14 years. Please remember to tell me what city you live in to help me answer your question up front!

20 years of structural foundation fault identification and most repair and stabilization methods. I introduced Fortress carbon fiber to this region of Ohio 14 years ago. I am always on site and involved in order to monitor each project I am responsible for. I have seen high pressure sales tactics used on homeowners over the years to buy on the very first contact. The most dominant ads on this site are good examples. My experience is that you need to be very careful when having these companies in your home.

Waterproofing magazine issue #2

Associates degree...and the school of hard knocks! Formerly certified by A.B.Chance company from 1993-2005. I have a construction and home improvement background for almost 35 years. I bought, restored and resold distressed property. I worked with 4 different foundation repair companies and am familiar with most methods. I also worked for a waterproofing company for several years. I teach ongoing education classes for home inspectors, adult education and Realtors in foundation fault identification and repair.

Hundreds of residential, commercial and some industrial.