Foundation Stabilization and Repair/BLOCK WALL TO FOUNDATION WATER DAMAGE

Question
I have two identical problems I belive.  One my guest house shows signs of water entering on one end of the floor.  Over time it has turned the carpeting a white color like cement dust or like a powder substance like dry wall.  The exterior wall is block on concrete slab, interior is wood slats to fasten drywall to.  Also the wood has rotted away from moisture.  This what I did to I think fix the problem.  Outside the exterior wall I dug down below were the foundation meets the block, pressure washed it and sealed it with three coats of a black tar like roofing sealer.  Back filled the area with stone in hopes that the water would drain faster.  2nd I have the same problem at my daughters house in Mississippi.  After the recent hurricane water found its way into the back bedroom do you recommend using the same method I used before.  Have not had any hard rains in Florida to see if my method of repair has worked yet.  Any ideas?
Thanking you in advance Bob

Answer
Hello Robert

Your repair technique should help considerably, but there may be further seepage if the water collects along the edge of the block wall for long periods of time.
You should try to create a positive grade slope out and away from the problematic areas. I realize that sometimes this can be very difficult and it may require some drainage planning from professional landscape experts.
I believe what you are doing with the asphalt sealant, is a very good idea and it may very well help solve the initial problem, but if you still experience water seepage then I would recommend contacting a reputable drainage expert to help you folks with a greater landscaping plan.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley