Foundation Stabilization and Repair/bowed power braces

Question
bowed power brace
bowed power brace  
I have a 25 year old house with a block wall basement on a poured foundation, on the side of a hill, near Columbia SC.  The wall on the hill side was not built properly (the pillars were not integrated with the wall), and it is now buckling from the pressure of the earth.

I just had a local company install 7 power braces, and they used torque wrenches to tighten them (and they say we can tighten them every 4 months, and gradually pull the wall a bit straighter again over the years.)   However, the braces immediately began bowing when they did that.   They tell me that's normal, but that doesn't seem right to me... seems to me they need to stay rigid if they're going to hold the house up!

Answer
Tom,
    Your basement walls are extra high compared to standard basement walls. With the walls being loaded from top to bottom from the hillside consideration should have been used in the anchor design.
Bowing braces are not normal in the industry. I strongly suggest you bring in a structural engineer to evaluate the problem...and then use this information to make it right, one way or another. My guess is  these beams will continue to bend under load.
A phone call to the manufacturer with the possibility of unfavorable publicity may also be helpful.
...Don't delay!

Jim
www.expertbasementrepair.com

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise