Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Jack up garage and replace timbers

Question
Your question was

My 23'by13' garage has sunk approx. 6" in the last 10 years. It has timbers under the walls and it appears asphalt was poured as a floor inside in the last 20 years (no concrete footings or blocks). Garage prob. 60 years old. I would like to jack up garage enough to dig out these old timbers, replace with some compacted gravel and pressure treated 6"by6" timbers and let down garage on these. I'm 62 so probably won't be here more than another 10 to 15 years. Also overhead electric door - would it have to be removed before jacking up or could I just brace the opening with door open or closed? Thanks very much, John

Answer
Hello John
Usually the garage door can be left in closed position and the frame of the garage can be cross braced to keep the doorway square and rigid. The frame of the garage should be lifted and supported in sections starting with corner control.
I would recommend contacting professional building movers or licensed structural engineer to have plans devised to meet your local building codes. Improper procedure or plan could result in structural damage or future failure.
I realize the garage is fairly small, and it is probably fairly simple construction, but it could be dangerous if the frame has any significant weakening from the 6" or more distortion.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley