Foundation Stabilization and Repair/protecting foundation

I have a cape style home, and at one time it had gutters along the front roof line.  They were removed, and therefore water cascading off the roof went into the ground and eventually seeped into my block foundation. In winter no doubt the foundation is stressed to some degree by the freezing of the water and it pressing against the foundation.  Upon my home inspection the inspector suggested I look into some type of remediation for this.  I've thought about replacing gutters, but have wondered if there's something I can do otherwise, like building up the soil so it slopes away from the house.  Now, it kinds of puddles a foot or so in front of the foundation.  Short of building up the soil to create a slope, is there some kind of impermeable barrier (or semi-permeable) barrier I can put under the soil I bring in, to lessen the chance the runoff will seep into the ground and foundation?  Or should I just go ahead with the gutters, which I find unattractive?  I currently have removed the shrubs that were along the front, so can basically do what I want in front for now.  Thanks for your reply!

Hello Peter
I would certainly recommend installing some gutters!
It is absolutely important to establish positive grade slope away from the foundation. You may need to add soil against the foundation edge and provide a 10% slope out to a minimum distance of 5ft or more. Example: 60" wide with a 6" slope.
The very best saturation barrier would be a poured concrete apron, (Basically, a wide sidewalk), right up against the foundation, sloped out to the 5ft distance at 10%.
It is a bit costly, but it is the very best way to carry away surface storm water with no soil erosion. Another option is Plastic covered with decorative rock. This method is often times used to deflect the surface water and provide a nice look around the perimeter of the foundation.
The most important thing is preventing water from ponding within the 5ft distance of the foundation edge. Any soil saturation within this distance Will Absolutely Cause Foundation Damage!, Especially block foundations!
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley

I will be happy to answer any questions regarding foundation problems of any type. Questions pertaining to construction methods, Problematic soils, Settling & Movement, Frame torsion & racking, Preventative measures, Repair methods of all types.

Over 18 years in the industry. A.S.M.E. Certified,(American Society of Mechanical Engineering). Hydraulics Design Expert. 18 years of hands on soil manipulation. Over 500 homes repaired, and over 20 commercial buildings repaired. Extensive soil knowledge. Familiar with most types of repair methods and the expected results of each.

Publications Article Title: Foundation Problems Do's & Don'ts Foundation Repair Methods

High School Graduate 1976 Trade School Graduate 1976 College Graduate 1978

Certificates of achievment: Excel Industries Letters of appreciation: City of Golden Awards & Plaques: Jacobsen Turf Division

Available on request