Foundation Stabilization and Repair/What to seal gap between basement wall and floor with

Question
Its winter in NY and weve moved into a center hall colonial home with a full basement,  built 6/2011 near Buffalo NY so its about 18 months old.  Looks like the basement floor had some shrinkage when it cured leaving about 1/8+  gap around the perimeter.  The basement and interior drainage tile seem to be dry to 2+  wolf spiders are living in the drain tiles we believe, they revert into this gap.  We sprayed a pesticide into the crack/gap the first few days in the house then vacuumed the carcasses up.   1+ week later - getting more big spiders again.  We'd like to seal this crack with something to prevent the spiders from entering without damaging the interior drain tile system.    What product is used for this purpose in the northeast?  Can I use it in the winter with young children in the house, worried about fumes etc?  I can keep them out of the basement no problem for a few days.

Answer
Hello Amie
Usually, spiders and other insects will enter through gaps in window casings or doorways. It will often times look like the pathway is through the basement floor because that is where they like to hide out and seek moisture from the soil beneath the concrete floor.
You should check for gaps around all of the basement windows in particular.
One of the best sealants to use along the seam of the basement floor, is Silicone Calking. You can get grey colored silicone calking at most hardware stores or Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Silicone is great because of it's elasticity and long lasting seal. It does have a bit of an odor for about 12 hours, but it does a fantastic job of sealing concrete gaps.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley