Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Twisting Center Support Beam in Basement

Question
Lally bend
Lally bend  
Hello,

I bought a house built in 1900 about 2 years ago. When I purchased it, there was some sil damage to the front left and left corner done by termites so they replaced a big part of the sil. They also put in supporting lally columns (it had the original old tree supports). The front of my field stone basement is bowing in a little bit (this was known when bought, was told it wasn't a huge deal) in that same area.

Recently (within the last 3 to 6 months) I noticed that the front of the house (where the sil was replaced) the center support beam has started to twist considerably. So bad in fact we had to take one of the lally's out because the pressure caused the metal corner to crush down (the tree is still there so there is support).

Do you know what could be causing this? I highly doubt it's "settling" after 112 years, and checking out the sil (what I can see of it) it's looking intact. I've attached a (I'm sorry about the quality, my phone camera stinks) picture to show the bend. It was straight less than 2 years ago.

Thanks very much in advance!

Answer
Slope movement damage
Slope movement damage  
Nellie,
      Here's a few things that I would be looking for...
First, Has the floor cracked or broken under the support post? If so the floor is failing in that one section. Next, look at the cement in the wall between the stones. Is it crumbling or turning mushy? If so the wall is failing due to water infiltration at the joints and the wall is moving, allowing the foundation to adjust to the movement. Are you built into  a hillside?  If so the slope could be readjusting ( slope creep ).
      As a general rule, water or the lack of it often creates these issues. How's the drainage around the foundation?
      The last time I ran into this issue the corner of the basement was near a slope.

If this doesn't help you should get a structural engineer in there to take a look.

jim

www.expertbasementrepair.com

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise