Foundation Stabilization and Repair/foundation problem

Question
I am currently doing a 250 capacity hall building in a waterlogged area. I started this January 2013. we have dug the trenches. The foundation is intended to be a raft type of about 2.44m in height. The length is 26.5m and  width 18.6m. we noticed that the settlement is not the same from the front to the back on the length. we observed in one of the trenches, a point where water gushes out from the soil like an aquifer. Some say that raft cannot be used, while others say because of the heavy presence of black soil therein it will create settlement and tilt the bulding during the wet season when the water table rises etc. What is your honest take on it, cos I have invested a lot of money into this.

Answer
Kanmi,

It may take a piled raft foundation to mitigate settlement concerns.
It sounds like you may have layers of organics that may not be able to support the the current raft design. Do you have ability in your area to have a geotechnical company perform an investigation? It will cost some money but may prove to be a good value.
Even though the raft thickness is quite large, the added weight may be detrimental to the stability of the foundation.
Deep foundations may make more sense.

Randy  

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Randy Dikeman