Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Michigan basement walls

Our home is over 100 years old and the concrete used with the stones on the basement walls seems to be coming down.  If you touch it, it loses small pieces.  We are considering covering the walls with a spray foam, but I don't think that will look food.  Do you have any suggestions that we can put on the walls to keep them clean and dry.  I like the looks of the wall and don't want to hide them.

Hello Carol
From your description of the failing mortar on the old stone walls, I cannot recommend coating or covering the walls until they are determined safe and structurally sound.
The best thing to do is work with professional masonry contractors that have expertise working on very old stone work. They will be able to properly remove loose mortar and re-tuck the stones in a safe manor.
You mentioned that the looks are important, and that is where really good masonry restoration is a matter of experience and an eye for detail.
Once the stone work is determined safe and sturdy, then you may be able to coat it with a nice acrylic or epoxy clear coat. That would enhance the stone beauty and seal the stones and mortar to help prevent future oxidization and deterioration.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley

I will be happy to answer any questions regarding foundation problems of any type. Questions pertaining to construction methods, Problematic soils, Settling & Movement, Frame torsion & racking, Preventative measures, Repair methods of all types.

Over 18 years in the industry. A.S.M.E. Certified,(American Society of Mechanical Engineering). Hydraulics Design Expert. 18 years of hands on soil manipulation. Over 500 homes repaired, and over 20 commercial buildings repaired. Extensive soil knowledge. Familiar with most types of repair methods and the expected results of each.

Publications Article Title: Foundation Problems Do's & Don'ts Foundation Repair Methods

High School Graduate 1976 Trade School Graduate 1976 College Graduate 1978

Certificates of achievment: Excel Industries Letters of appreciation: City of Golden Awards & Plaques: Jacobsen Turf Division

Available on request