Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Foundation Crack

Question
Crack
Crack  
We moved into our 20 year old house last year and there were no cracks in the foundation.  Recently we noticed a crack in one of the foundation blocks, 4 blocks above the slab.  The crack starts from the top center and continues to the lower right corner (see attached figure).  The two pieces of the block are flush and water isn't entering through the crack.  The rest of the blocks are crack free.  Is this something that can be fixed by filling the crack with a sealant?

Answer
Steve,
I have been out of the country for the last week and just getting back to you.
Looking at the crack, since it is isolated and appears to only affect one block
I would not be too concerned given the age of the structure. You may want to place some tape
at each end of the crack and note the date on the piece of tape. You can monitor any additional
future movement that may occur.

If no moisture is seeping through the crack, I would probably leave it alone a while to allow for monitoring. If you prefer to seal the crack you could use a flexible type sealant but if
water does start to seep through the sealant may not stop the water intrusion.

Should the crack begin to propagate and become more of a structural concern you may want to
contact an area foundation repair company to take a look and provide a quote if they feel
the amount of movement warrants the cost of repair.

Randy  

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Randy Dikeman