Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Raft pier or beam. LOUD terrible noises

Question
I've lived in Alaska so Im familiar with cold windy areas but I've never heard this. From the attic I'm hearing and feeling LOUD tremors. Like fast pounding or Stomping. I'm up earlier right now scared to death because the sounds are happening more and more frequently. Is this conscidered natural shifting here in Texas or is this call for concern?? I just bought this house a year ago and the inspector said it was fine but what the heck are these loud tremors coming from the attic?? Please help!!

Answer
Tiffany,
There are several possibilities for the "spooks' in the attic.
Although Texas does not have frost issues like Alaska, what they do have is a highly expansive
clay soil that changes volume with moisture content. Texas has been in record setting drought
the last several years. That being said there has been a huge amount of foundation problems.
There have also been some recent heavy rains in some areas that can cause change in the soil volume. Have you noticed any cracks in walls or doors that seem to have changed in operation?

Thermal changes in the attic can cause building materials to undergo some changes and cause noise in the timbers or truss systems.

The other possibility is popping in the overhead ductwork metal. There is a lot of change
in the temperature between return air vents and supply vents. It is not uncommon to hear a loud popping from the duct system during temperature extremes and periods of high usage.

You may want to have a Heat & Air contractor inspect the duct work to be sure it is properly
insulated and secured.

Randy  

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Randy Dikeman