Foundation Stabilization and Repair/bentonite

Question
What are the negatives associated with injecting bentonite into the soil around the perimeter of my two story home to keep water from weeping through cinder block walls into the basement during heavy rain in addition to an interior Drainage channel within  the slab edge.  House in northern Virginia.

Answer
Hello Ellen
The negatives are quite severe: Bentonite would absolutely destroy a block foundation in the very first rain storm or snow melt.
The only way Bentonite can be controlled is by keeping it bone dry!
The only way to absolutely insure safety and dryness of a block foundation is to establish positive grade slope away from all edges of the foundation and divert surface storm water out and away from the building.
Whatever you do, DO NOT introduce Bentonite or any other expansive clay to the soil, especially anywhere close to a block foundation!
I would strongly recommend working with soil and drainage experts when you go about solving your seepage problems. Be very careful about suggestions from anyone that has limited knowledge or experience.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley