Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Foundation

I am looking at purchasing a foreclosure house that was built in 2007.  It was built on a hillside.  The house is a 1380 sq ft mid entry.  The foundation has step cracks in it. The one side of the foundation is completely open to elements outside with no dirt covering it and it has a lot of step cracks in it. The other side has dirt up to about 2 rows of block showing above ground ad you can see a step crack near where the lines for outside air unit go into foundstion which is where the garage is.  Also there is mold on the hole bac wall underground where it is in the hillside and there is a lot of ground behind house right up on it and the hill is right behind house.    Is the hill behind house shoving dirt toward the house and the house over the hill causing step cracks????  Also the brick that's on the front of the house is pulling away from it.  I have pictures of this house if it helps. I will have to email them to you.     Thanks

Slope failure
Slope failure  

Slope movement damage
Slope movement damage  
     Foundation settlement on a hillside can be a major problem. You need to determine if the slope is moving before you buy this property.
If the slope is active you would first need to spend $$$ stabilizing the slope from further movement, otherwise any foundation stabilization you attempt will simply slide along with the slope.
Piering is expensive, but slope stabilization is x 10 more expensive!
A geotechnical engineer can perform the needed soil borings and analysis if you really think you want this property. Expect to pay around $ 3000.00 !

I would avoid this one unless it's incredible and cheap. Regards, Jim

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise

I am the owner of EXPERT BASEMENT REPAIR in Cleveland, Ohio. see WWW.EXPERTBASEMENTREPAIR.COM for more helpful links, pricing and information on repair work and products I can identify the reasons for movement or cracking in home foundations, basements and walls. I am familiar with most waterproofing and water control methods. I am familiar with and have installed Ramjack, Dixie MacLean, and A.B.Chance™ helical and push pier systems, including tiebacks, steel beams, and rod and grout repair and also several carbon fiber stabilization products. I am currently certified for Fortress carbon fiber installation and have performed carbon repair in the greater Cleveland and Northeast Ohio region for 14 years. Please remember to tell me what city you live in to help me answer your question up front!

20 years of structural foundation fault identification and most repair and stabilization methods. I introduced Fortress carbon fiber to this region of Ohio 14 years ago. I am always on site and involved in order to monitor each project I am responsible for. I have seen high pressure sales tactics used on homeowners over the years to buy on the very first contact. The most dominant ads on this site are good examples. My experience is that you need to be very careful when having these companies in your home.

Waterproofing magazine issue #2

Associates degree...and the school of hard knocks! Formerly certified by A.B.Chance company from 1993-2005. I have a construction and home improvement background for almost 35 years. I bought, restored and resold distressed property. I worked with 4 different foundation repair companies and am familiar with most methods. I also worked for a waterproofing company for several years. I teach ongoing education classes for home inspectors, adult education and Realtors in foundation fault identification and repair.

Hundreds of residential, commercial and some industrial.