Foundation Stabilization and Repair/crack in foundation a problem?

Question
I am considering purchasing a home in southern utah. it was built in approximately 1970 and has poured foundation walls. This is a two story home with a full basement. No additions that I can tell. There is a vertical crack on the front wall of the home that is wider at the top of the cement wall than the bottom. Also one side of the crack has shifted in towards the house . The crack at the top is about 1/3 inch and tapers down to hairline width. There is no indication in the other parts of the house of cracking in drywall or problems with the doors or windows.

Answer
Hello Melanie
The crack that you have described indicates foundation settling on one side or the other from that particular point.The reason that the crack is wider at the top is because that is the area that has remained high and from that point, there has been some foundation sinking either to the right or left of that point.
Usually the problem will be with a corner settling because of soil saturation problems.
I would recommend having an inspection performed by a licensed structural expert before you consider the purchase. The crack you have described, indicates the need for remedial steps to prevent serious structural issues as the cracking continues in the future.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley