Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Slab Movement Seasonal

Hi, Ed. Our house is on a slab which moves with seasons. This causes differences in some door openings (sticking, etc,,) at certain times of the year. It has also caused cracks in sheetrock which recur when patched.  We have been told the house is built on shales and the moisture content of the soil, as it varies seasonally, causes the problem. We bought the house from another in 1980, and the problem has existed at least since then. It's a slight inconvenience and causes unsightly cosmetic problems indoors. I know you have addressed this problem before. My main question is will slabjacking actually stop the seasonal shifting, or wil it continue to some degree after the stabilization is done? I'm concerned the stabilization might work initially, but, when the seasons change, the shifting will resume. The force from underground is substantial, obviously, and I am skeptical slabjacking would be a permanent solution. Thanks very much.

Hello Cliff
Slab Jacking will help level out low or sunken areas of the concrete slab foundation, but, there will still be movement and seasonal problems as long as moisture is allowed to saturate the soil beneath the slab.
The only way to reduce the movement in the soil is to make absolutely certain that the perimeter grade slopes away from the foundation on all sides.
Any storm water or surface water of any source, must be quickly diverted before it has the opportunity to soak the soil beneath the concrete slab.
The best possible slope is 10% minimum out to a distance of at least 5ft...(that is at least 6" drop at 60" distance.
You should try to work with a drainage professional in your area, or a really good landscaping contractor with drainage expertise.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley

I will be happy to answer any questions regarding foundation problems of any type. Questions pertaining to construction methods, Problematic soils, Settling & Movement, Frame torsion & racking, Preventative measures, Repair methods of all types.

Over 18 years in the industry. A.S.M.E. Certified,(American Society of Mechanical Engineering). Hydraulics Design Expert. 18 years of hands on soil manipulation. Over 500 homes repaired, and over 20 commercial buildings repaired. Extensive soil knowledge. Familiar with most types of repair methods and the expected results of each.

Publications Article Title: Foundation Problems Do's & Don'ts Foundation Repair Methods

High School Graduate 1976 Trade School Graduate 1976 College Graduate 1978

Certificates of achievment: Excel Industries Letters of appreciation: City of Golden Awards & Plaques: Jacobsen Turf Division

Available on request