Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Bentonite soil near foundation

We live in the Denver metroplex, which is semi-arid. Our 1989 home was build on Bentonite clay, thus in dry times the soil shrinks away from the concrete foundation and driveway, creating a noticeable gap approximately 1/8" to 3/8" width. When it does rain or snow, the water enters the gap and pools under the driveway or can cause other issues.  Should I leave the gap alone, or fill it up? If "fill it up", what is the best filler material: sand, clay dirt, a 50-50 mixture of sand/clay dirt, top soil or some other material (pls specify). Thank you.

Hello Dave
You should absolutely fill in any gaps or crevices that water might infiltrate.
The best plan is to achieve a positive grade slope away from any concrete, (driveways, patios, walkways, etc...), to keep any surface water from saturating the soil beneath these concrete areas. It is especially important around build foundations.
I would recommend using good compactible soil such as: Road Base, or similar material. Avoid using porous sandy type materials because they will allow water leeching and saturation, therefore increasing the probability of further damage and problems.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley

I will be happy to answer any questions regarding foundation problems of any type. Questions pertaining to construction methods, Problematic soils, Settling & Movement, Frame torsion & racking, Preventative measures, Repair methods of all types.

Over 18 years in the industry. A.S.M.E. Certified,(American Society of Mechanical Engineering). Hydraulics Design Expert. 18 years of hands on soil manipulation. Over 500 homes repaired, and over 20 commercial buildings repaired. Extensive soil knowledge. Familiar with most types of repair methods and the expected results of each.

Publications Article Title: Foundation Problems Do's & Don'ts Foundation Repair Methods

High School Graduate 1976 Trade School Graduate 1976 College Graduate 1978

Certificates of achievment: Excel Industries Letters of appreciation: City of Golden Awards & Plaques: Jacobsen Turf Division

Available on request