Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Bentonite soil near foundation

Question
We live in the Denver metroplex, which is semi-arid. Our 1989 home was build on Bentonite clay, thus in dry times the soil shrinks away from the concrete foundation and driveway, creating a noticeable gap approximately 1/8" to 3/8" width. When it does rain or snow, the water enters the gap and pools under the driveway or can cause other issues.  Should I leave the gap alone, or fill it up? If "fill it up", what is the best filler material: sand, clay dirt, a 50-50 mixture of sand/clay dirt, top soil or some other material (pls specify). Thank you.

Answer
Hello Dave
You should absolutely fill in any gaps or crevices that water might infiltrate.
The best plan is to achieve a positive grade slope away from any concrete, (driveways, patios, walkways, etc...), to keep any surface water from saturating the soil beneath these concrete areas. It is especially important around build foundations.
I would recommend using good compactible soil such as: Road Base, or similar material. Avoid using porous sandy type materials because they will allow water leeching and saturation, therefore increasing the probability of further damage and problems.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley