Foundation Stabilization and Repair/foundations and walls

I have a 120 year old adobe house that was built too close to the house next door.  As a result, when it rains, water comes from their roof onto mine and then onto their wall and down to the narrow ground between.  The moisture in the ground has crept up their walls to the interior and caused black mold.  The damp soil, I believe, has caused settling of my foundation.  This has resulted in my floor at that corner to loose support and the front walls to crack in two places.   The neighbor and I have installed rain gutters so the cause no longer exists but all the results do.  Can you advise, please?

Hello JC
I would strongly suggest contacting a Structural engineer in your County or City and having a thorough inspection of the settling foundation that you have mentioned. It is especially important because of the age of the structure. The engineer report will offer remedial recommendations for the soil type and anticipated future issues.
You mentioned that gutters have now been installed and that is a very important step towards helping prevent massive saturation of the soil between the buildings, but I would say that there will probably be further steps of drainage planning and possible stabilization plans and so forth. If the old foundation has been severely damaged there may be a need for added reinforcement along the weakened area(s) of the foundation.
I'm sorry that I cannot offer any remedial instructions or advice myself without thoroughly examining the situation myself.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley

I will be happy to answer any questions regarding foundation problems of any type. Questions pertaining to construction methods, Problematic soils, Settling & Movement, Frame torsion & racking, Preventative measures, Repair methods of all types.

Over 18 years in the industry. A.S.M.E. Certified,(American Society of Mechanical Engineering). Hydraulics Design Expert. 18 years of hands on soil manipulation. Over 500 homes repaired, and over 20 commercial buildings repaired. Extensive soil knowledge. Familiar with most types of repair methods and the expected results of each.

Publications Article Title: Foundation Problems Do's & Don'ts Foundation Repair Methods

High School Graduate 1976 Trade School Graduate 1976 College Graduate 1978

Certificates of achievment: Excel Industries Letters of appreciation: City of Golden Awards & Plaques: Jacobsen Turf Division

Available on request