Foundation Stabilization and Repair/lime white stuff on walls of basment

We  had a new house built ten years ago and they of course put drain tile and the black stuff and pink stuff on outside walls but this past may we had taken our discharge hose from sump pump that empties into covert and diverted it back to woods so we could do some cleaning in culvert, well that day we had tremendous rains such as I have never seen before, we live in Lorain ohio.   I think it was 5 inches in half hour and I heard the batter back up alarm go off and we had electricity but when I got to basement the water was coming out from under steps already even though sump had not overlowed.  There are three sump pumps in our system and all three were on overload so we figured it was pipe that was diverting water so hubby ran out and unhooked it and the water went down in crock in just minutes.  But we had some water that came came in around steps before crock overflowed.  

Now we had sump guy come do annual inspection and he noticed white lime stuff all around block on our basement walls about 4 inches up and he said it look to him as our drainage system outide tile and limestone stuff is failing.

I told him we had 20 year warranty and we would call them as I didn't  know if he was trying to get me to buy their companys water proofing or not but could the lime just be there because of the flood even though the water was  not that  high and or because the tile got backed up that one time?

Is it something to be consenced about.

Sorry to be so long getting back to you but I have been on a project in Arizona.
The white residue on your basement walls is termed "efflorescence". It is very common
and not considered to be harmful as it is mainly water-soluable salts.
If your walls are constructed from block they tend to be more pourus. The more pourus the material,the easier it is for the efflorescene to penetrate and occur on the surface after the moisture evaporates.
You can try brushing the walls to remove and then wash down with a sponge. If the residue persists, try using un-diluted white vinegar and repeat the process. There are harsh chemicals that can be used but I would not recommend them for interior locations due to health concerns.
After cleaning the walls, give it some time to see if the residue reappears. If it comes back you may need to go to further measures such as sealing the walls.
Be sure to maintain proper drainage around the house, such as gutters and a good slope of the
ground away from the house.

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Randy Dikeman

Any question regarding foundation repair, methods, new construction foundations,crawl space,soil retention walls,foundation maintenance, helical anchors and piers, push piers and resistance piers.

37 years of construction experience, 23 years specifically in the foundation repair industry. 13 years as a foundation repair contractor, 10 years as a national training manager for several major steel pier manufacturers

Deep Foundations Institute

Nathan Hale High School, Tulsa, ok Oklahoma State University (no degree) Certified Installation Trainer with Several Manufacturers Licensed Insurance Adjuster - Texas