Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Bowing wall

The problem
The basement wall is bowing and has cracked in a few places.

We have had 2 companies come out and give us a bid.

Company one talking about adding steal rods and concrete piers in the yard to straighten and stabilize the wall and digging by the foundation wall, adding gravel and a drain tile. As well as putting a waterproof membrane on the foundation wall.

Company two is going to add steal brackets that attach to the foundation wall and the floor joists.

From reading your web site and some of the questions it sounds like to me that there is a third and better way and hopefully cheaper way. The carbon fiber bracing and excavating with a drain tile and epoxying the cracks.

Please let me know if I am on the right track and if there is anyone you know of in the St. Louis MO area. That does this type of install.

Steel beam installation
Steel beam installatio  

Fortress carbon fiber installation in cleveland
Fortress carbon fiber  
    Yes, there is a third less expensive option for stabilizing your basement wall... using carbon fiber. If you need to have the wall straightened you must excavate to the footing outside before you have the carbon installed. Although other products claim to straighten the wall in time, chances are good it won't be in your lifetime. An anchor system with rods and plates you described has to be tightened once a month because it's anchored out in the yard...and the soil gets wet. Usually those anchors are a fixed length..."one size fits all" unless there is something in the way on top, and only then is that area of anchoring extended. That extension gives the anchor a somewhat better chance of holding in place. If it does "lockup" and not move back, there will be a tremendous pressure point... loaded around the interior wall plate. This creates punching shear. See my website for more info on wall anchor systems.  
         ( )
   Adjustable steel beams are steel beams. They will be a tad bit scary looking...if you ever show the house for sale. Their ability to straighten your wall is often not guaranteed because you are trying to display tons of earth outside loaded against the wall. This too would take years if it went well for you.
   Carbon fiber is usually less expensive, less invasive, a much cleaner installation, a better appearing installation and a ten times stronger installation. Again see my website for multiple examples and pictures. I have contacted Fortress Stabilization for you in your area. You should be contacted soon. There are a few carbon fiber products out in the field, but Fortress has been available now for 16 years and is by far one of the best, with the best support and warranty that I have experienced.
( see ) for more information. In Cleveland, Ohio we have the same Fortress representative your area will have, so I know you'll be in good hands.
Best Regards, jim

PS...Fortress already E mailed me!

Here's the contact info...

Yes in St Louis Missouri the contractor would be Tom Ely with High & Dry Foundation Repair (636) 273-1150 or (314) 426-0900

Todd L. Jackson
Cell: 734-552-3269
Fortress Stabilization
184 West 64th Street
Holland MI 49423

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise

I am the owner of EXPERT BASEMENT REPAIR in Cleveland, Ohio. see WWW.EXPERTBASEMENTREPAIR.COM for more helpful links, pricing and information on repair work and products I can identify the reasons for movement or cracking in home foundations, basements and walls. I am familiar with most waterproofing and water control methods. I am familiar with and have installed Ramjack, Dixie MacLean, and A.B.Chance™ helical and push pier systems, including tiebacks, steel beams, and rod and grout repair and also several carbon fiber stabilization products. I am currently certified for Fortress carbon fiber installation and have performed carbon repair in the greater Cleveland and Northeast Ohio region for 14 years. Please remember to tell me what city you live in to help me answer your question up front!

20 years of structural foundation fault identification and most repair and stabilization methods. I introduced Fortress carbon fiber to this region of Ohio 14 years ago. I am always on site and involved in order to monitor each project I am responsible for. I have seen high pressure sales tactics used on homeowners over the years to buy on the very first contact. The most dominant ads on this site are good examples. My experience is that you need to be very careful when having these companies in your home.

Waterproofing magazine issue #2

Associates degree...and the school of hard knocks! Formerly certified by A.B.Chance company from 1993-2005. I have a construction and home improvement background for almost 35 years. I bought, restored and resold distressed property. I worked with 4 different foundation repair companies and am familiar with most methods. I also worked for a waterproofing company for several years. I teach ongoing education classes for home inspectors, adult education and Realtors in foundation fault identification and repair.

Hundreds of residential, commercial and some industrial.