Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Cracks in Poured walls

Question
Hi Jim,

40 year old home with poured walls. Soil is a mix of clay dirt and sand. Over the past 3 years, i'm beginning to notice long horizontal & some vertical cracks in the walls, No bowing as of yet.

Is this normal?

Worried In Grafton Ohio,
Bob Kauffman

Answer
Expert Basement Repair of a cracked poured wall
Expert Basement Repair  

Crack repair in poured wall
Crack repair in poured  
Bob,
       No, cracking of your walls is not normal. What probably has happened is the draintile or yard drainage along your walls is not working as originally intended. After 40 years water is likely wicking into the backfill along your walls and SWELLING. This swelling is called hydrostatic pressure. Once this soil swelling becomes strong enough it will overcome the mechanical strength of the concrete walls. You now have two problems, one: stop the damage and stabilize the walls. two: Correct the water problem so that you don't have continued problems. You will likely need to inject the cracks with a polyurethane foam to stop any potential leaking and then stabilize the cracking with carbon fiber.
Feel free to contact me through my companys website for more information and methods to address this problem.
www.expertbasementrepair.com

Best regards, jim

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise