Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Foundation or Drainage Problem?

I have a two floor house with a basement, and in the basement there are a lot of cracks going along the stone blocks. They stair step on two of the walls and theres actually one that runs the whole length of a third wall! The floor is also sinking down quite a bit in one of the corners.
I just inherited the house from a family member and I really want to keep it for a long time because of the good memories. I have had a couple companies out, one that you have experience/work with, ramjack of ohio. They said that I have settlement in the corner where the floor is sinking and a bowed wall, and that I need piers and carbon fiber. They said that my problems are from my bad downspouts and that they would fix those as well. The quote they gave me was pretty high. The other company was ohio state waterproofing and they said some things about putting a drain along the bottom of one of the walls and waterproofing the outside of the walls to get rid of the water. They said my problems are coming from water mainly, as well. They were quite a bit cheaper than ramjack.
I guess have more than one question.
Is this something I have to take care of now?
Do you know why this is happening? Is it really only from water?
Would your company do anything different from these two?
Is there a way that I can help out the situation on my own?
Whats the CHEAPEST way to go about this?
I do not know if it helps but I live in Akron. I just need information before I moved forward with this. I would hate to spend a bunch of money for nothing
Thank you

We service your area. Please contact our office directly and we can give you an on site inspection and assessment of your foundation issues.
It would be in your best interest and the inspection is free!

Best Regards,
         Jim Hise  1.440.543.1030 office #  

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise

I am the owner of EXPERT BASEMENT REPAIR in Cleveland, Ohio. see WWW.EXPERTBASEMENTREPAIR.COM for more helpful links, pricing and information on repair work and products I can identify the reasons for movement or cracking in home foundations, basements and walls. I am familiar with most waterproofing and water control methods. I am familiar with and have installed Ramjack, Dixie MacLean, and A.B.Chance™ helical and push pier systems, including tiebacks, steel beams, and rod and grout repair and also several carbon fiber stabilization products. I am currently certified for Fortress carbon fiber installation and have performed carbon repair in the greater Cleveland and Northeast Ohio region for 14 years. Please remember to tell me what city you live in to help me answer your question up front!

20 years of structural foundation fault identification and most repair and stabilization methods. I introduced Fortress carbon fiber to this region of Ohio 14 years ago. I am always on site and involved in order to monitor each project I am responsible for. I have seen high pressure sales tactics used on homeowners over the years to buy on the very first contact. The most dominant ads on this site are good examples. My experience is that you need to be very careful when having these companies in your home.

Waterproofing magazine issue #2

Associates degree...and the school of hard knocks! Formerly certified by A.B.Chance company from 1993-2005. I have a construction and home improvement background for almost 35 years. I bought, restored and resold distressed property. I worked with 4 different foundation repair companies and am familiar with most methods. I also worked for a waterproofing company for several years. I teach ongoing education classes for home inspectors, adult education and Realtors in foundation fault identification and repair.

Hundreds of residential, commercial and some industrial.