Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Slab Foundation Crack noted on Inspection & Worrying Buyer

Hi Ed. First off, thanks for being out there. I value education quite a bit and can see you do too.

I am a real estate agent in Charlotte, North Carolina and I have a listing that is under contract. Home Inspection came back mentioning, "Foundation: Poured Concrete slab - Cracks noted to the foundation at various areas (more severe crack noted at
the right side), a structural engineer is recommended
to further evaluate and make all necessary repairs for
structural reasons." This home was built in 1999 and has been very well taken care of. In the pic of the crack, it starts at the top, comes about half way to the ground, then turns up a bit. I can send the pic if you would like. Understandably, the buyer has asked for a structural inspection, as well as some other items to be addressed. The inspection will cost ~$500. The man coming out has said that if a foundation crack is causing problems you will see it in things like the floor buckling, molding popping off, and windows not opening. None of this is a problem in the house.

My question is does your experience reflect this as well?

Hello Brian
There are certain obvious symptoms that relate to cracking or moving slab foundations. Frame racking is most noticeable when the foundation movement exceeds 1" in any given area especially close to doorways, windows, or similar points of reference.
I would highly recommend having a thorough inspection of the slab movement, (cracking), and obtain remedial suggestions from a licensed inspector.
Whenever cracking is evident, there is cause of concern.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley

I will be happy to answer any questions regarding foundation problems of any type. Questions pertaining to construction methods, Problematic soils, Settling & Movement, Frame torsion & racking, Preventative measures, Repair methods of all types.

Over 18 years in the industry. A.S.M.E. Certified,(American Society of Mechanical Engineering). Hydraulics Design Expert. 18 years of hands on soil manipulation. Over 500 homes repaired, and over 20 commercial buildings repaired. Extensive soil knowledge. Familiar with most types of repair methods and the expected results of each.

Publications Article Title: Foundation Problems Do's & Don'ts Foundation Repair Methods

High School Graduate 1976 Trade School Graduate 1976 College Graduate 1978

Certificates of achievment: Excel Industries Letters of appreciation: City of Golden Awards & Plaques: Jacobsen Turf Division

Available on request