Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Foundation Repair Technique

sideways beam
sideways beam  
We are in the process of purchasing a home and the seller was supposed to add foundation supports as part of the deal. We went over to review the work today and I was concerned about how they are stabilizing the steel beams. Is it standard practice to use wood nailed to the joists in this fashion? Does this follow building code? We are located in Kansas City, KS. Thanks

Hello Dan
It is difficult to determine from the photos just exactly what is being accomplished with the wood blocking in the floor joists spaces. It would appear as though they are attempting to prevent joist twisting very close to the sill plates.
I would recommend contacting a licensed inspector to examine the work before you finalize the purchase. That would be the best way to insure whether or not the work meets code and what the actual benefit of the bracing is all about.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley

I will be happy to answer any questions regarding foundation problems of any type. Questions pertaining to construction methods, Problematic soils, Settling & Movement, Frame torsion & racking, Preventative measures, Repair methods of all types.

Over 18 years in the industry. A.S.M.E. Certified,(American Society of Mechanical Engineering). Hydraulics Design Expert. 18 years of hands on soil manipulation. Over 500 homes repaired, and over 20 commercial buildings repaired. Extensive soil knowledge. Familiar with most types of repair methods and the expected results of each.

Publications Article Title: Foundation Problems Do's & Don'ts Foundation Repair Methods

High School Graduate 1976 Trade School Graduate 1976 College Graduate 1978

Certificates of achievment: Excel Industries Letters of appreciation: City of Golden Awards & Plaques: Jacobsen Turf Division

Available on request