Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Basement steps

Photo of the crack
Photo of the crack  

There is a crack where my basement meets the steps of a prefabricated bilco Door, the crack has appeared this year I suspect because of the ice and cold,. Please help in repair ideas, I am expecting water leakage when the snow melts

There is not enough detail in the photo to be 100% sure but from what I can see this looks like deteriorated mortar.  I would suggest cleaning the joint and tuck-point with new mortar.  You could also use an elastomeric product such as a polyurethane sealant such as SONOLASTIC NP1 or Sikaflex Construction Sealant.  The Sikaflex is usually available at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Edwin Moore

I can answer any questions concerning the causes and repair of foundation movement.

I have been in the foundation stabilization industry for over ten years. I have been involved with over 10,000 projects and have overseen the installation of over 1 million linear feet of steel piering.

I hold a degree in construction engineering, licensed in SC as a Building Inspector, Certified as a instructor for profesional engineers in SC. Certified by Basement Systems as a Crawl Space Specialist. Certified by DriveRite as a Foundation Stabilization Specialist