Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Corroded cinder block basement wall

Question
cinder block 1
cinder block 1  

cinder block 2
cinder block 2  
The cinder blocks of the bottom row on my basement wall are crumbling.  I run my finger on one and little bits fall off.  You can see the holes in them in the photo #1. Pieces of cinder blocks fallen off of them are on the floor in photo #2.  The house was built in 1990. The wall has never been sealed or water-proofed to my knowledge at least on the inside. The other side of this wall is way below grade and must have a water problem. The wall is still standing firm, but this worries me! I can't clean the wall the way it is before applying DryLok, because it will break down more.  What can I do to (1) repair them first and then (2) stop further break-down/corrosion?

Answer
concrete block wall stabilization
concrete block wall st  

rod and grout repair
rod and grout repair  
Jessica,
       It sounds as if you have a bad batch of block installed in your wall. If too much water got into the cement mix when the blocks were made, the resulting b lock would be weaker and crumble like this. If this were my repair I would first make sure the block is strengthened, and in this case, it would be from the inside.
       In my opinion having rod & grout installed would be the best course of remedy. This is a long, 1/2" thick rebar steel rod inserted into the block and positioned so that the rod passes down through the block, past the top of the very first block as far as it will go... to the footing. This rod will then encapsulated with a self consolidating grout. In effect you will have an internally solid, reinforced concrete block. The length of the rebar will need to extend past the defective block material vertically. ( if the wall is spalling 3' high you need to have a 4' rod and grout repair in that section. )
       In 28 days you can then get a hammer and start knocking the loose material off the blocks. If a hammer blow ( medium hard ) knocks material off...the material wasn't doing anything mechanically for strength anyways. You would then wash down the wall to remove any dust and lose concrete chips, and then fill in any voids with a strong cement designed for vertical installations....basically bodywork on the block.
       You must find a contractor who understands this process with the proper steel spacing  steel rod placement inside the block cavity and proper cement utilized and suggested.
       After the repair has dried you can then utilize hydraulic patching cement to seal the smooth, repaired areas as Dry Loc water proofing paint won't bond well in those sections.
       If you still have questions feel free to call my office.   The number is on our website:
www.expertbasementrepair.com

best regards,    jim hise  

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise