Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Foundation not plumb

We have an accepted offer on a home that we are looking to buy.  During the home inspection, it was found that one of the walls in the basement is out of plumb. The inspector couldn't see any cracks and said it was porobable that the home was originally built this way.  The house is a 2-story home built in 1991 with a block basement.  I am hesitant now to buy the home and he recommend that we get a second opinion which we are doing in a few days.

The inspection report states the following: "Noted tilting of rear basement wall. Out of plumb by 1/2" to 3/4". No evidence of recent movement.  I recommend a second opinion by a foundation inspector or structural engineer."

How serious is this problem, and could this really have been how the house was built?  I am worried about resale of the home in the future.

Thanks for any insight!

Hello Jessica
I believe the best thing to do is have the second inspection by a licensed structural inspector so there will be a written report of the evalutaion.
It is very difficult to determine whether or not the blocks were built plumb in the innitial construction of the basement, but they should have been within 1/2" plumb as a general rule.
It is good that no cracks are presently visable. I wouldn't worry about future resale value unless the second inspection shows structural problems or negative issues with the home.
I wish you the best!
Respectfully          Ed Eckley

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Ed Eckley

I will be happy to answer any questions regarding foundation problems of any type. Questions pertaining to construction methods, Problematic soils, Settling & Movement, Frame torsion & racking, Preventative measures, Repair methods of all types.

Over 18 years in the industry. A.S.M.E. Certified,(American Society of Mechanical Engineering). Hydraulics Design Expert. 18 years of hands on soil manipulation. Over 500 homes repaired, and over 20 commercial buildings repaired. Extensive soil knowledge. Familiar with most types of repair methods and the expected results of each.

Publications Article Title: Foundation Problems Do's & Don'ts Foundation Repair Methods

High School Graduate 1976 Trade School Graduate 1976 College Graduate 1978

Certificates of achievment: Excel Industries Letters of appreciation: City of Golden Awards & Plaques: Jacobsen Turf Division

Available on request