Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Repair Rotten Wooden Support Posts below grade

Rotten post 1
Rotten post 1  

wooden post group 1
wooden post group 1  
I have these wooden posts that are support structures for the rooms above that were an addition to my house done in 1993.  Suspicious of a downspout that was gone right into the ground, I dug into dirt and found horribly rotten woods.  Went about 6 inches down but still couldn't find any concrete, though pieces of loose concrete were laying around.  The way the downspout is buried, I suspect the ground had moved up over the years.

Photos show a group of 4 wooden posts and a downspout attached to one of them.  There are 5 more of them.

How can I have this problem fixed?  I'm surprised the structure has not caved in yet with en extent of rotting this bad!

Thanks again for your quick and detailed instructions!

Although this is not a basement related foundation's what I would do if you do
not plan on replacing the rotten boards. ...( which you should do. )

1. jack up the deck with a hydraulic 3 ton portable jack.

Use jackposts and 4x4" beams across the bottom of the deck to support it.

2. lift it 1/2 " or so out of the ground.

3. Cut horizontally across all the rotten boards 6" above the ground level.

4. dig down beneath all the boards. Make the hole wide enough so all the boards could be set back down on

the new footing.

5. I would find out how deep the frost line is in your area and dig the hole that deep.

6. Now take a 6" board and form a box around the top of the hole to contain concrete.

7. Pour concrete into the hole and fill it completely up to the top of the boards around the hole.

8. Note : the top of the form should be very close to the bottom of the cut deck boards.

9. let the concrete cure, and then let the deck down on the new footing which is the ground.

that's what I would probably do...  good luck

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise

I am the owner of EXPERT BASEMENT REPAIR in Cleveland, Ohio. see WWW.EXPERTBASEMENTREPAIR.COM for more helpful links, pricing and information on repair work and products I can identify the reasons for movement or cracking in home foundations, basements and walls. I am familiar with most waterproofing and water control methods. I am familiar with and have installed Ramjack, Dixie MacLean, and A.B.Chance™ helical and push pier systems, including tiebacks, steel beams, and rod and grout repair and also several carbon fiber stabilization products. I am currently certified for Fortress carbon fiber installation and have performed carbon repair in the greater Cleveland and Northeast Ohio region for 14 years. Please remember to tell me what city you live in to help me answer your question up front!

20 years of structural foundation fault identification and most repair and stabilization methods. I introduced Fortress carbon fiber to this region of Ohio 14 years ago. I am always on site and involved in order to monitor each project I am responsible for. I have seen high pressure sales tactics used on homeowners over the years to buy on the very first contact. The most dominant ads on this site are good examples. My experience is that you need to be very careful when having these companies in your home.

Waterproofing magazine issue #2

Associates degree...and the school of hard knocks! Formerly certified by A.B.Chance company from 1993-2005. I have a construction and home improvement background for almost 35 years. I bought, restored and resold distressed property. I worked with 4 different foundation repair companies and am familiar with most methods. I also worked for a waterproofing company for several years. I teach ongoing education classes for home inspectors, adult education and Realtors in foundation fault identification and repair.

Hundreds of residential, commercial and some industrial.