Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Crack in mortar of brick house

Question
Hello Edwin,
I have a zig zag crack down the side of my home I am selling.  A potential buyer has asked to have a foundation inspection.  how much would this cost.  If there is no apparent damage inside, is it okay just to seal the crack?

Answer
Hey Jeff,
An estimate from a reputable foundation stabilization company should not cost anything. A diagonal stair step crack is almost always indicative of foundation settlement.  It means that the brick was put under enough tension to allow it to break.  Think of the crack as a rip or tear in the brick veneer. At any rate the crack is only an indicator of the bigger problem.  Filling the crack will not solve the problem.
Hope this helps.

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Edwin Moore