Foundation Stabilization and Repair/broken slab

hi..i live in a house that was built in 1972. when the washer runs on spin cycle, the water comes up through the kitchen sink. this has happened in the past many times. i called a plumber and he comes over and reams it out with a power auger and thats it till next time. now i am being told that the slab is broken. they want to put a camera in there and see where the break is. this is the line that goes from the kitchen, all the way across the house, to the main drain. my question is this: if they were to do this job, and the house settles more, which it will, the new pvc pipe they will put in will break all over again. so i am looking at getting a foundation company over here just to give an opinion and see what can be done to stabalize the slab once and for all.  so my first question is..what do you think of this plan, and secondly, do you have any suggestions on what i should or should not do? thanks so much!!

slab pier
slab pier  
         It is possible your home was built on fill or on a lot that had unsuitable soil for construction.
A sinking slab means the soil is consolidating or being eroded away from a water leak. The standard "fix" for a settling slab is "slabjacking". Google it for a definition.
Often slabjacking fails because the soil continues to settle and the slabjacking is only a top level surface filler...not deep deeper soil stabilization...which is what you need.

Slab piers could solve your problem by screwing through the bad soil layers to support the floor, but that is very expensive.

Possibly the least expensive "solution" would be to make your new plumbing connections with "Fernco" flexible connectors so the pipe can move a bit and not break.

How does that would not break your budget. At expert basement repair we would attempt the least expensive solution first.

best regards....jim

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise

I am the owner of EXPERT BASEMENT REPAIR in Cleveland, Ohio. see WWW.EXPERTBASEMENTREPAIR.COM for more helpful links, pricing and information on repair work and products I can identify the reasons for movement or cracking in home foundations, basements and walls. I am familiar with most waterproofing and water control methods. I am familiar with and have installed Ramjack, Dixie MacLean, and A.B.Chance™ helical and push pier systems, including tiebacks, steel beams, and rod and grout repair and also several carbon fiber stabilization products. I am currently certified for Fortress carbon fiber installation and have performed carbon repair in the greater Cleveland and Northeast Ohio region for 14 years. Please remember to tell me what city you live in to help me answer your question up front!

20 years of structural foundation fault identification and most repair and stabilization methods. I introduced Fortress carbon fiber to this region of Ohio 14 years ago. I am always on site and involved in order to monitor each project I am responsible for. I have seen high pressure sales tactics used on homeowners over the years to buy on the very first contact. The most dominant ads on this site are good examples. My experience is that you need to be very careful when having these companies in your home.

Waterproofing magazine issue #2

Associates degree...and the school of hard knocks! Formerly certified by A.B.Chance company from 1993-2005. I have a construction and home improvement background for almost 35 years. I bought, restored and resold distressed property. I worked with 4 different foundation repair companies and am familiar with most methods. I also worked for a waterproofing company for several years. I teach ongoing education classes for home inspectors, adult education and Realtors in foundation fault identification and repair.

Hundreds of residential, commercial and some industrial.