Foundation Stabilization and Repair/Soil shrinkage from outside of home

Question
Hi.  We have a 3year old new build in Cincinnati where soil contains a lot of clay.  We have developed a gap between the ground and exterior side of home (especially on west side that is a bit of a hill).  What should we use to fill in this gap to avoid eventual foundation problems.  We've read conflicting advice online.

Thank you!

Answer
cracked walls
cracked walls  
Rachel,
       DO NOT FILL IN THE GAP! If you fill it in, there will be no pressure relief once the soil swells again in the wetter weather. If you allow pressure ( hydrostatic pressure )  to build up from the soil, in many cases the wall will eventually crack as the pressure overcomes the wall strength. The best you can do would be to dig out the soil and replace it with riverstone gravel fill. This stone will not lock into place and can move around if pushed. You should , however, have a shallow cap of top soil over the stone to dress it off on top ( 18") or so....for small plants etc.

Best regards,
         Jim Hise   Expert Basement Repair, Cleveland, Ohio

PS  these walls had to be reinforced from the inside because excavation was out of the question. Fortress carbon Kevlar grid straps were installed, replacing the need for steel beams and wall anchors that most basement guys use.

Foundation Stabilization and Repair

Jim Hise