FoxPro/Field Name Width of Foxpro dbf file

In general the maximium field name width for a foxpro dbf file is 10-characters limit but i have got a file with the field name exceeding 10-characters for the field. Can i know how can i build the dbf file with the field name exceeding 10-characters. Thanks a lot for your help

You didn't specify your version of FoxPro, so I can't give a lot of specifics, but a free table has a limit of 10 characters for a field name, if the table is part of a database container, much longer field names are permitted.  For example, in Visual FoxPro 7, they can be up to 128 characters.  To find out the specifics for your version, look in the HELP file under SYSTEM CAPACITIES.

Fred Frase

Questions about development only. No installation or hardware specific questions, please. Your first step in requesting assistance should be to identify the version of FoxPro you are using. I can write short functions but, PLEASE do not ask me to write programs for you.

Nearly 30 years professional programming experience using FoxPro (FoxBase through VFP 9) or other xbase language, primarily in Windows environments.

Completed a 1,000 hour diploma course in programming at International Academy of Ohio (subsequently merged with Southern Ohio College).