FoxPro/Run a foxpro2.6 a .EXE program in Windows 7, 64 bit

Hi Fred,
I have an application we created using FoxPro 2.6a. We can run the exe on a Windows 7 32 bit but haven't find a way to run it on a Windows 7 64 bit. Can you help me?

Good afternoon, Debbie,

I'll start by way of an apology, my expertise is in coding, not environments, so the short answer is I don't know.  But...

IF it's possible, it suspect it will have something to do with "compatibility mode" and I suggest trying a FoxPro forum for that, (I think there is still one active on  I'm pretty sure there is a 32-bit subsystem within the 64-bit operating system. I think Windows has the "Program Files (x86)" folder specifically for programs designed for those processors (e.g. 80286, 80386).

You have likely already opened a DOS window and tried to run your .EXE from within it.  But, if you haven't tried it and you don't have a "Command Window" icon, use COMMAND.COM or CMD.EXE in the RUN dialog.  If you have tried it with the icon, I'd still try to RUN COMMAND.COM.  The icon probably runs CMD.EXE and it may still have a compatibility issue.  If that doesn't work and the forums don't help, I'm at a loss.  If it's still included, COMMAND.COM is either at the root of C: or in the WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder (maybe both).

I'm sorry I'm unable to help.

Good Luck

Fred Frase

Questions about development only. No installation or hardware specific questions, please. Your first step in requesting assistance should be to identify the version of FoxPro you are using. I can write short functions but, PLEASE do not ask me to write programs for you.

Nearly 30 years professional programming experience using FoxPro (FoxBase through VFP 9) or other xbase language, primarily in Windows environments.

Completed a 1,000 hour diploma course in programming at International Academy of Ohio (subsequently merged with Southern Ohio College).