France/Driving between Cote D'Azur to Mont St Michel

I have enjoyed your answers to other questions and I hope that you may be able to assist with my query.
We are travelling to Europe October-November 2013 and hiring a car for 17 days (lease with Citroen) as a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children - 2 teenagers & a 10 year old). My husband and I drove through Provence for a week in 1996 when the big petrol strike was on and absolutely loved our time exploring and getting lost and finding amazing things to see.
We have chosen to drive as we enjoy the freedom and independence it gives us and enjoy driving. We come from South Australia, so are used to long drives.

Have you ever attempted to drive from Provence to Brittany/Normandy - we will have 4-5 days and wondering how realistic this is.

I am toying with staying in the Lot area first night or two  (found a gorgeous place at Nabirat). Not sure where to go next and finally end up near Pontorson in Normandy.

Would love to take the kids and husband to Chenonceaux - I understand that we wont be able to really do the areas well, but it could be a good entree to a future repeat visit. We will end up with a week in Paris.
I'd appreciate any points of view/advice.

ANSWER: Hi . . . Carolyn from South Australia!

Appreciate your nice comments on my earlier responses and your good question today.  

Doing the long drive up from Cote D'Azur to Mont St Michel is certainly possible to do over that time period.  As with most things, there are always pro/con, various trade-offs to consider.  I hope your car is large and comfortable enough to do five people, plus luggage, etc.  

Personally, I would do a mix of some rail and some driving.  That's me.  Driving that long of a distance, even over a number of days can get a little old.  Lots and lots of "windshield time"!!!  The faster routes on the superhighways tends to be more boring with a lack of scenic highlights.  The more charming, country roads are much slower and time-consuming.  

Choices?  Choices?

We have not driven ALL of this way up from Nice to Brittany/Normandy.  BUT, but we have done lots of driving in many various parts of France.  My bottom-line is that it's a personal choice and much depends on your family, the size of vehicle you have, family styles, likes and dislikes, etc.

Below are my notes on the Loire Valley.  YES, Chenonceaux is super wonderful.