France/Paris to Rome in June 2013

We are planning to visit Paris, Rome, and places in between in June 2013.
We arrive in Paris early morning of June 02 and we return to North America from Rome on June 15.

Traveling together are my wife (age 63), my self (age 66) our granddaughter (age 16) and our grandson (age 14).
We were thinking of spending 3 days in Paris at the beginning and 3 days in Rome at the end of the trip.

Our grandchildren have never visited Europe. My wife and I spent a few days in the Provence (20 years ago) and a few weeks driving in northern Italy (5 years ago). We loved both experiences.

We are looking for recommendations on where to go, how to travel, and where to stay. We want to give our grandchildren a taste of Europe and a taste for travelling.

We have a cottage in Canada ( 2 hours north of Toronto) and a house in south west Florida. We would consider trading accommodations (but this is not necessary).

Thanks in advance.

Hi Reg!

Renting a car would be the ideal way of travelling between France and Italy, but I am afraid that renting car in France and dropping it off in Italy would be terribly expensive...

You could take a train from Paris to Dijon, for example, rent a car there and drive around Burgundy (Bourgogne), one of France's loveliest regions, in my opinion,

You could then reach Italy by train, , rent a car in Florence and drive around Tuscany, Rome is just one a half hours away from Florence by high-speed rail,

While in Paris, should you like to wander off the beaten track, please check out (it is the only section of my website on Paris that I have translated into English).

Where to stay:

Have a great trip to France and Italy,

Carla Polastro

I`m an Italian who lives "part-time" in Paris. I`m very familiar with its monuments & museums. I`d love to share this knowledge with others.

See above.