France/Western France

QUESTION: Dear sir, I'm looking for an appropriate area of France, hopefully in the Brittany/Normandy area, which I can use as a setting for a source of fiction. The idea is an abandoned castle left in ruins on a hill rising over a small farming community, both of which I intend to name myself, without using actual existing locations, but most of the castle ruins I'm finding and researching are either not what I'm looking for or lot in my preferred area. Can you recommend me to an area close to what I'm describing?

ANSWER: Hi . . . William from Tennessee!

Good, interesting, unique questions.  BUT, my literary expertise is a little limited.  History, however, is a strong interest.  

My first suggestion is that you need to consider much more research on what exact historic period you seek as the setting for your writings.  WHY??

France has not always been "France"!!!  For many long period of decades and centuries, parts of Brittany and Normandy (and other parts of France) were controlled by those associated with England (or Germany, the Moors, the Romans, etc.).  

So first I would suggest determining which period and angle of history you seek to associate with on your historic context.  Clearly, there are many, many options in so many parts of France.  In general, most of the castle owner were not just sitting out there by themselves.  There were allied and/or connected with some larger, more powerful interests in and around France.  

Reactions to these various ideas and options????  Look forward to hearing back from you with more details and specifics.

Does this start to help a little? What are your needs for added information?  Be happy to provide additional info and answer other questions after learning more from you.  Be sure to complete the evaluation section so that our "bosses" on this volunteer service know we are working hard to make inquiring minds as happy as possible. ENJOY!  Merci Beaucoup!

Thanks.  Terry Casey in Columbus, Ohio

QUESTION: Hi, Terry...

I wasn't sure if you were going to be getting back to me so I perused the internet for abandoned castles and ruins in Brittany and Normandy that fitted what I was looking for. I finally settled on placing fictional ruins near a fictional farming community around four hundred miles west of Paris not far from where the D700 Highway crosses the D-41 roughly 2 KM (1.25 miles) from Loudeze in the province of Cotes-d'Armor (formerly Cotes-du-Nord) in the area of the former Roman province of Armorica. My idea was Celtic ruins fortified by the Normans and claimed by English lords that would be abandoned by the French Revolution and bombed during World War Two. (My writing incorporates as much real world history as I can.) Obviously, my knowledge of France is based on a general outline of it's history and rulers, but I'm still hoping these details fit together. Do you have any further advice or info for me?

Hi . . . again . . . William from Tennessee!

Glad you went ahead with your Internet searching.   Have not been in or around Loudeze for that part of western France in the province of Cotes-d'Armor.  Did check it on maps.  But could not find that village or town by that specific spelling.  Sorry!

Good that you noted: "My writing incorporates as much real world history as I can."   As I noted previously, the history in these areas is very twisted and complicated.  That is both an opportunity and challenge to get things "right" based these various historic developments.  

You asked: "further advice or info"?  

Just keep researching, reading, etc.!!  It's lots of work, but you don't want to get caught short with major historic errors.  It's fiction, but you don't want major mistakes on the overall context of events from the past.  

ENJOY!  Merci Beaucoup!  

Thanks.  Terry Casey in Columbus, Ohio  

Terry Casey

Most experienced for Paris, Loire Valley, Provence, Dordogne, Alsace, Burgundy, Normandy and Reims/Champagne Country. Terry likes helping travelers get trip "flow and pacing" right so your adventure is neither . . . a bore, NOR a blur! Make sure your timing works, fitting your interests, tastes, personal experiences and needs. Terry has planned and done great trips to the Baltics, Russia, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Ireland, England, Austria, Italy, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece, Norway, Turkey and Switzerland, plus South America and Cuba. Did wonderful April, 2007, week in Paris, summer 2008 southern England trip, summer 2010 fjords/North Cape, Norway coast, etc. Has visited twenty=two different countries in Europe. You can check out our Norway coast/fjords adventure with lots of great pictures from last summer at: This live/blog has gotten nearly 52,000 views. For Villefranche, ports in Italy and along the the Croatian coast, you can check this live/blog. We are now at 42,762 views here. France is great, but these other parts of the Europe are wonderful, too!!!

There is much post 9-11-2001 worry about travel to Europe, but all reports and experiences say things are fine, with proper care and planning. From wide travels in many parts of Europe in 2005- 2008, my personal experiences are that things are good there and reasonably behaving Americans are treated well. See, enjoy the world and experience its great diversity! I have visited 20 countries in Europe and know that there's lots there to see and do. PROVIDE KEY BACKGROUND INFORMATION with QUESTION: To help me answer your questions better, please provide some info on your past France/Europe travel experiences, ages, general budget range, personal travel style/interests, number in your party, what you most want to enjoy and see, etc.

Ohio State University grad