France/nivernais canal boat trip

Firstly, thank you for the helpful posts on this topic already. I am thinking of taking one of the canal boats from Tannay to Migennes (or vice versa) in April or May and have also come up against the issue of how one gets to the Tannay departure point w/o using a rental car or a taxi from a distant rail hub. On Google Maps Tannay looks to be very small and not on arterial train routes. So my Q's to you are: 1. Departing Lyon and heading to Tannay is it possible to get to Clamecy by train and if so could you let me know schedule pls? 2. Is it the case that one needs to take a taxi to Tannay or can one use a local bus service? 3. Migennes is the cruise destination so is Laroche -Migennes the train station serving Migennes and if so is the train station close to the Le Boat marina? 4. Are there train services from Laroche- Migennes through to Paris, our next destination after the boat cruise? 5. If you are able to provide info as to approx. costs, websites to use I would appreciate that also. Thanks frank

Hi . . . Frank from Australia!

On your good question of getting to the locations for these various canal boats in France, these types of question have come up many times in the past.  

The honest reality is that getting to Tannay via a train and/or easy/cheap public transportation can be challenging.  There are some train options getting back from Migennes.  

My suggestions, as I have told others, is to check with the canal boat people.  I would not book with them until they solve "their problem" by going from some isolated, harder-to-reach locations.   Ask them what work best, what options they have, suggest.   

Below is more on some of the problems with trains in rural areas, plus the limits on bus service in mary parts of France.  

There is one train option that would go from Lyon Part Dieu at 1:16PM, going to Laroche Migennes, arriving at 4:56PM and then from that location at 6:05PM, arriving at 7:55PM at Flez Cuzy Tannay.  Not quick, easy.   Nor, a good arrival time.  Sorry.  

This and other options (limited) can be found through

Reactions to these various ideas and options????  Look forward to hearing back from you with more details and specifics.

Does this start to help a little? What are your needs for added information?  Be happy to provide additional info and answer other questions after learning more from you.   ENJOY!  Merci Beaucoup!

Thanks.  Terry Casey in Columbus, Ohio

RAIL & BUS REALITIES: In France, overall, the trains are great, especially along certain key routes with the fast and comfortable TGV Express train service.  Between Paris and Avignon, it is only a two hour and 35-40 minute trip that zooms this route by traveling up to 199 mph.  On other TGV routes, the top speed is around 186 mph.   These super nice and fine TGV trains are NOT, however, on all or most routes, nor to all cities.  For other routes, mostly between larger cities, the service can be good to very good.  BUT, in many rural areas and to connect among various smaller village and country areas, rail service is not available and/or fairly slow or limited.  There might be several train changes needed to cover some routings.  There is "some" bus service in France, but it is done by many different private companies and it does not have a centralize website, nor fast, frequent service.  Because elements of the rail service are so good, it has made it harder to have equally good and frequent bus service in many parts of France.  

Terry Casey

Most experienced for Paris, Loire Valley, Provence, Dordogne, Alsace, Burgundy, Normandy and Reims/Champagne Country. Terry likes helping travelers get trip "flow and pacing" right so your adventure is neither . . . a bore, NOR a blur! Make sure your timing works, fitting your interests, tastes, personal experiences and needs. Terry has planned and done great trips to the Baltics, Russia, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Ireland, England, Austria, Italy, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece, Norway, Turkey and Switzerland, plus South America and Cuba. Did wonderful April, 2007, week in Paris, summer 2008 southern England trip, summer 2010 fjords/North Cape, Norway coast, etc. Has visited twenty=two different countries in Europe. You can check out our Norway coast/fjords adventure with lots of great pictures from last summer at: This live/blog has gotten nearly 52,000 views. For Villefranche, ports in Italy and along the the Croatian coast, you can check this live/blog. We are now at 42,762 views here. France is great, but these other parts of the Europe are wonderful, too!!!

There is much post 9-11-2001 worry about travel to Europe, but all reports and experiences say things are fine, with proper care and planning. From wide travels in many parts of Europe in 2005- 2008, my personal experiences are that things are good there and reasonably behaving Americans are treated well. See, enjoy the world and experience its great diversity! I have visited 20 countries in Europe and know that there's lots there to see and do. PROVIDE KEY BACKGROUND INFORMATION with QUESTION: To help me answer your questions better, please provide some info on your past France/Europe travel experiences, ages, general budget range, personal travel style/interests, number in your party, what you most want to enjoy and see, etc.

Ohio State University grad