France/Train travel in France

Question
Hi Terry, I have just been reading your helpful comments regarding travel by train from Paris Gare de Lyon to Dompierre -sur-besbre . In answer to a Q. from Dave a few weeks ago.Can you advise if it is possible to travel by train other than TGV  and if so how long does it take and how frequent is the service likely to be? Do we need to book in advance? Or just rock up

Answer
Hi . . . Alastair!

Dompierre-sur-besbre is a fairly small and somewhat out-of-the-way town of only about 3,200.  I have not been there, nor close.  

As I noted to Dave from South Africa, this location is about 50 miles east of Macon, a larger town that is about half-way between Dijon and Lyon.  This village is also about 15 miles east of Moulins.  It appears that a rail line runs through this samll village, but it is unclear from RailEurope that there are now stops in this small village.  To reach Macon, there many train options.  Here is one very good example:      7:49AM departing from Paris Gare Lyon, arriving at 9:24AM at Macon Loche Tgv.

Are you interested in and/or able to have a car or van?  You might travel to Lyon or Macon by train and then use a vehicle to reach this small village.  With your own vehicle, you will be better able to explore nearby Burgundy and/or other options in this area.  

Are you planning on doing some type of canal boat trip?  If so, put the burden on them to come with the best logistics for getting there from Paris.  Many of these canal boats are poorly located and make it difficult for people to get there and back.  Train might be possible, but you will probably have to change trains, be creative, etc.  

Tell me more!!   Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, I can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Reactions to these various ideas and options????  Look forward to hearing back from you with more details and specifics.

Does this start to help a little? What are your needs for added information?  Be happy to provide additional info and answer other questions after learning more from you.  Be sure to complete the evaluation section so that our "bosses" on this volunteer service know we are working hard to make inquiring minds as happy as possible. ENJOY!  Merci Beaucoup!

Thanks.  Terry Casey in Columbus, Ohio

France

Terry Casey