Good day. I hope you can help me. I have a question:
If we come to the airport of Nice how can we get from there to Albenga (Italy, Liguria)? And maybe you know the taxi, bus or train...???
Thank you very much

Hi . . . Aliya from Saint Petersburg!

Sorry for my delay in responding.  Super love your town of St. Petersburg.  Visited there in 2008 and really enjoyed your great history, charm, character and architecture.  

On getting from the Nice airport to Albenga, Italy, it is possible, but a little challenging.  Personally, the easiest and quickest would be to have a rental car to get there, be able to explore in that area on your own and then return to the airport.  

It is roughly 50 miles from the airport to that town.  A taxi would be very, very costly.  Bus service in France tends to be fairly slow with marginal service.  By rail is possible, but it is not very time efficient.  As example, you will need to get from the airport into main Nice and then take a 9:25AM train that arrives at 10:13AM in Ventimiglia Stazi in Italy, then wait and change trains to take the TER 86017 at 11:50AM, arriving at 1:08PM in Albenga.  Rail costs might be about $30 each way.    

There are other trains and times, but it is the challenges with the various changes and lay-over times, etc., needed to put together these various connections.  Unfortunately, the train connections in this area are not ideal, simple and/or quick.   

Below is more on how to check those rail options, etc.  

Reactions to these various ideas and options????  Look forward to hearing back from you with more details and specifics.

Does this start to help a little? What are your needs for added information?  Be happy to provide additional info and answer other questions after learning more from you.  Be sure to complete the evaluation section so that our "bosses" on this volunteer service know we are working hard to make inquiring minds as happy as possible. ENJOY!  Merci Beaucoup!

Thanks.  Terry Casey in Columbus, Ohio

RAIL SCHEDULES: You can go to this website
and check all of the various train options, timings and costs on rail travel within Europe through the "schedules" option on their web page.  For some routings, such as Avignon to Barcelona or Nice to Rome, it will not yield results.  You will be need to break it out into separate routings such as Nice to Genoa, then Genoa to Rome.  Great, very useful site!

We have had excellent success with
Their phone toll-free is 1-888-223-5555 (North America only).
There are also rail-auto plan options through
Avis has lots and lots of location around France and Europe.
Donít assume one price will be the THE PRICE, best price.  Make an advanced booking at a good price, but keep check back as different specials will come up, especially in these fast-changing economic times.

Use this website to get any detailed maps you need. Scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the directions with your details on where are coming from and going to. It will give both graphic maps and written point-by-point driving instructions. You can also look lower on the page for other options such as a shorter route in miles that might take more time and be more "scenic".

Terry Casey

Most experienced for Paris, Loire Valley, Provence, Dordogne, Alsace, Burgundy, Normandy and Reims/Champagne Country. Terry likes helping travelers get trip "flow and pacing" right so your adventure is neither . . . a bore, NOR a blur! Make sure your timing works, fitting your interests, tastes, personal experiences and needs. Terry has planned and done great trips to the Baltics, Russia, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Ireland, England, Austria, Italy, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece, Norway, Turkey and Switzerland, plus South America and Cuba. Did wonderful April, 2007, week in Paris, summer 2008 southern England trip, summer 2010 fjords/North Cape, Norway coast, etc. Has visited twenty=two different countries in Europe. You can check out our Norway coast/fjords adventure with lots of great pictures from last summer at: This live/blog has gotten nearly 52,000 views. For Villefranche, ports in Italy and along the the Croatian coast, you can check this live/blog. We are now at 42,762 views here. France is great, but these other parts of the Europe are wonderful, too!!!

There is much post 9-11-2001 worry about travel to Europe, but all reports and experiences say things are fine, with proper care and planning. From wide travels in many parts of Europe in 2005- 2008, my personal experiences are that things are good there and reasonably behaving Americans are treated well. See, enjoy the world and experience its great diversity! I have visited 20 countries in Europe and know that there's lots there to see and do. PROVIDE KEY BACKGROUND INFORMATION with QUESTION: To help me answer your questions better, please provide some info on your past France/Europe travel experiences, ages, general budget range, personal travel style/interests, number in your party, what you most want to enjoy and see, etc.

Ohio State University grad