France/Barcelona to Paris or Pais to Barcelona?

Question
Hi, We are 2 woman traveling in Mid September. We wish to visit Paris and Barcelona. I would like to see the Normandy area and Mont St. Michel as well as the Dordogne area and possibly Provence.We will fly into either Paris or Barcelona and depart from the other city. We are not afraid to drive, How many days would we need to cover that much ground? Is it a realistic itinerary?
Thank you.

Answer
Hi . . . Bridget from Texas!

Appreciate your questions.  Sorry for my delay in responding.  Been busy with that "old-fashioned" thing called work.  YES, both Paris and Barcelona are super wonderful.  Lots of great options there and between these two world-class cities.  

BUT, to do Normandy, the Dordogne and Provence covers lots of territory and roadways.  So much driving to try to do ALL of those different locations.  Plus, getting north of Barcelona, etc., etc.  Driving in and out of these large, congested cities, etc.

TELL ME MORE!!??  Your goal is great, but it might be a little too ambitious.  Serious questions for how "realistic" doing this much driving would be.  What could look good or OK on paper, might not be that much in real life with that much driving.    

It would help me to know much more about you and your travel partner.  What have been your past France and Europe travels?  How flexible and large is your budget?  With more money, you can make some of those "logistics" easier and quicker.  What are your specifics likes, desires and goals in visiting all of these varied areas?  How much are you interested in history?  Countrysides vs. cities?  Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.?  How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced?  Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, I can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Too much "windshield time" in France can get boring and cause you to miss the really great parts of these areas.  The superhighways are faster, but not as scenic.  The more charming roads are better, but so much slower.  Trade-offs??!!

Reactions to these various questions????  Understand why I am asking?  Look forward to hearing back from you with more details and specifics.

What are your needs for added information?  Be happy to provide additional info and answer other questions after learning more from you.   ENJOY!  Merci Beaucoup!

Thanks.  Terry Casey in Columbus, Ohio

France

Terry Casey