Franchising/Mr. Franchise on FDD bankruptcy disclosure

I'm interested in franchising my business. In the past (less than 10 years ago) my husband and i filed chap 13. We originally filed together, then we both chose to withdraw our petition and the case was dismissed. A year after that, we filed chap 13 again, and only I withdrew my part of the petition and I was dismissed from the case. So essentially, there was never a bankruptcy judgement on my behalf. I am the sole owner of my business and my husband has no position in my company.  So would I have to disclosed that I filed bankruptcy and then withdrew my petition? Thank you much for your feedback!

As a franchise attorney, who has actually walked the walk, owning and operating a very successful franchise, and a court-accepted, testifying  franchise expert, I can tell you the following:

Since the regulations require disclose of bankruptcy filings, and you filed, twice (but ultimately withdrew), the fact of these filings needs to be disclosed. You can also add pertinent details about withdrawing your part and being dismissed from the case, etc. With disclosures in an FDD, it's always better to provide more disclosure than less.

As you're interested in franchising your business, you can learn a lot on the Franchise Foundations website at:

There's also a short monograph I've written (that's not on the website) that gives a very clear overview of steps to take that will save you a substantial amount of money and how to evaluate both franchise attorneys and consultants.

I can email this to you if you contact me by email at:

And if you prefer, you can contact me directly at either of the numbers below.

Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.
Attorney at Law & Franchise Expert
Director of Operations - Mr. Franchise
415.225.3010 (direct)
877-201-9396 (toll-free)  

Franchise Attorney Franchise Expert MBA - Kevin B. Murphy - Mr. Franchise & Former Franchise Owner

Franchise Attorney, MBA Franchise Expert, author and instructor with 2-plus decades of franchise industry experience, including ownership of a successful franchise. I answer all business format franchise questions, how to franchise a business, issues about ongoing franchise relationships, buying a franchise, evaluating franchise investments, franchising vs. licensing (franchise vs. license), franchise disputes, franchise operations manuals, franchise expert advice in franchise lawsuits and franchise litigation, franchise agreements, FDD Franchise Disclosure Documents and intellectual property. I don't answer questions about franchises in the automotive and petroleum industries. I have drafted, reviewed and negotiated over 500 franchise disclosure documents, advised hundreds of franchise buyers and franchise companies as well as started and operated a franchise from scratch - a background not duplicated by any other franchise expert. My in-the-trenches franchise ownership and resale experiences gave me valuable insights to share with potential franchise buyers and existing as well as emerging franchise companies.

Known in the industry as Mr. Franchise, I owned, operated and sold a very successful franchise in the home improvement industry. I help individuals and companies enter and prosper in the franchise industry, have drafted, reviewed and negotiated over 500 FDD's (Franchise Disclosure Documents) and have experience filing franchise registrations in all franchise registration states such as California, Illinois, New York, etc. I am very familiar with the McDonalds franchise program, have developed a cost-savings franchise budget for companies that want to learn how to franchise a business, and pioneered a unique FDD Evaluator program for those considering a franchise investment.

Author of over 40 franchise articles, including four books on franchising and one book on trade secrets.

Avoiding Legal Pitfalls In Franchise Marketing
2009, Franchise Foundations Press

Franchise Sales Control
2009, Franchise Foundations Press

Effective Franchise Marketing
2009, Franchise Foundations Press

Implementing A Franchise Disclosure Compliance Program
2009, Franchise Foundations Press

Protecting Trade Secrets
2002, Franchise Foundations Press

Also authored foreword and edited various chapters of the following book:

The Franchise Handbook: A Complete Guide to All Aspects of Buying, Selling or Investing in a Franchise
2006, Atlantic Publishing Company

B.S. Business Administration (Finance), University of San Francisco,

Juris Doctorate (J.D.) of Law, University of San Francisco School of Law,

Active member of the State Bar of California

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) - International Business, San Francisco State University,

Approved Provider of MCLE by the State Bar of California, 1993 to present
Teaching franchise, licensing and intellectual property courses to attorneys in topics like franchise feasibility, international franchising, franchise marketing, franchise planning, franchise kits and others.

Selected as the premier U.S. franchise expert by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), an agency of the United Nations, in Geneva, Switzerland to speak at Singapore’s World Conference about franchising in Asian countries and developing uniform franchise regulations based on the U.S. franchise laws and regulatory model, September, 2007, hosted jointly by WIPO and the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS).

Snapshot of Recent Franchise Expert Litigation Cases:

Nagrampa v. MailCoups Inc. and The American Arbitration Association - United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (Argued and Submitted En Banc). Summary: provided franchise expert strategy and consulting in a case that established new franchise law by invalidating the standard arbitration provision in a California franchise agreement on the grounds it was unconscionable.

Swansons Cleaners, et al. (Superior Court jury trial). Summary: provided franchise expert consulting that re-focused the legal issues and discovered new causes of action. Testified at deposition and trial for a franchisee in its claims against the franchise company. Result: jury verdict in favor of the franchisee for $1.6 million in punitive damages and $634,000 in contract, etc. damages.

For more information, visit the Franchise Foundations website