Franchising/digital photo franchise

Hi Mark,

Are there any franchises where people can print digital photos
on-site from their phone, tablet, SD card, etc.?
I work in a small town drugstore that has two photo kiosks that people can use to print digital photos. It's the only place in town where people can do this. It costs less than printing at home.  The nearest WalMart or Walgreen's with a kiosk is 20 minutes away.  Before digital came along, we developed and printed 35mm film all day long most days.  It just got me thinking about the demand for this kind of service, and if there is a franchise that addresses this need, or could it be started without a franchise.
Thank you for your help.

Laura: Thank you for your question. There are many resources available to investigate current franchises available. You could visit the website of the International Franchise Association ( If you Google "photo franchise" you'll see that there are a number of franchise-specific websites - in the industry known as franchise portals - which list franchises for sale under various categories. This will give you an idea of the types of franchises available (although there are many not listed as well). Whether or not any particular franchise is desirable or not is a complex question, that can only be answered with the assistance of business and legal advisors.  

Mark Siebert

How do you determine if a business is franchisable? What must a company do in order to franchise? Is the current economic client conducive to franchising? How fast do franchise companies usually grow? What types of businesses are best suited for franchising? What are the franchise growth industries? Should I license my business? How do I expand my business? Looking for a Business Consultant? What is included in an Operations Manual?

I have worked with hundreds of franchisors, from start-up operations to corporate giants. A franchise consultant since 1985, I founded the iFranchise Group in 1999 as an organization dedicated to developing long-term relationships with successful franchisor clientele. I am considered an expert in evaluating companies for franchisability and structuring franchise programs. I have personally assisted over 30 Fortune 1000 companies and over 200 start-up franchisors. I am frequently called upon as an expert witness in franchise-related cases, and am widely quoted in the business press. I am a regular columnist for Franchise Times and

International Franchise Association; Canadian Franchise Association

Franchise Times (monthly column) (monthly column)

Northern Illinois University

Franchise Times 20 to Watch (2002) International Franchise Association Member Recruitment Award (multiple years) AAFD Supporting Member of the Year; Top Quality Franchising Chairman's Award

Massage Envy; GarageTek; i9 Sports; Milio's Sandwiches; Andy's Frozen Custard; EVOS; Capriotti's Sandwich Shop; Perkins; Ace Hardware Japan; Praxair; Auntie Anne's