Franchising/Franchise Investment Success Factors

Question
Hello  

It's often said that the level of investment in a franchise business does not have a direct relation to the success and profitability of the franchisee. If the personality match and fit alone are mostly responsible for this then why go for franchise concepts that come with big price tags? Or small-medium price tags?

What aspects does the investment level affect the choice of the franchise concept independent of the "match"?

Answer
As a Franchise Attorney with 35 years of experience evaluating franchise investments and actually owing and operating a very successful franchise myself, I offer the following.

Personality match and fit by themselves are not related to success or profitability. The metrics of the business model must satisfy financial analysis. Generally speaking, a service business has much greater profit margins, lower investment and a lot less headaches. For example, when I bought my franchise back in 2002, it was a service business - interior door replacement in residential homes. Even after paying the franchisor its 6% royalty and 3% ad fund, I still had almost a 25% profit margin. Total investment to reach the break even point was just a bit under $100k. That included everything - leasing and build out of a 7,000 sq. foot warehouse-showroom, paying 3 employees and a licensed contractor, buying a box van, tools, etc. Hit break even 6 weeks after doing our first job. When I sold almost a year later in 2003, using our best profit month of about $14k, I was hitting (on an annual basis) the same numbers that a McDonalds did at the time. Even then a McD was almost $1 million investment, employing about 100 minimum wage teenagers who constantly quit or don't show up, working 7 days a week, etc. My franchise was a tenth the investment, normal Monday thru Friday 9A-5P hours, and 4 total employees.

Very important to hire the right person to evaluate a potential franchise. Even franchise attorneys focus almost exclusively on the legalese of the contract, which is less than 10% of the franchise equation. Most don't have an undergraduate business degree, let alone an MBA and therefore don't do things like analysis of business metrics, financials, management, etc.

I generally recommend staying far away from anything having to do with a food operation. It's high investment, high risk and low (if any) profit margins. But even bright people can be extremely stupid when it comes to buying franchises. I represented two different franchise buyers who came to me after the fact, when they were locked into 10-year commercial leases with personal guarantees and had invested over $600k, each, in a food franchise that never made money. Every month they had to come up with between $10k and $15k of working capital to keep things afloat. One didn't think an attorney or other consultant was worth the up front money. The other used an attorney who, despite huge red flags I would have found, just tweaked a couple of contract provisions. What sense does that make when the business model is seriously flawed? Answer: none. Both cases were ultimately settled to the satisfaction of both clients, but that took some time and work to accomplish.

Best of luck,

Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.
Franchise Attorney & Franchise Expert
Director of Operations - Mr. Franchise
FRANCHISE FOUNDATIONS APC
http://www.franchisefoundations.com

Franchising

Franchise Attorney Franchise Expert MBA - Kevin B. Murphy - Mr. Franchise & Former Franchise Owner